Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Audio Rythm to Midi Drums ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=118396)

wonderfall 10-14-2004 04:55 AM

Audio Rythm to Midi Drums ?

Hi all.
Do u know any application that could convert an audio percussive rhythm and output the corresponding midi file with matching velocities?
I mean one that would be fast enough to translate even the minor bounces of the stick on the percussion... in order to programm midi rolls for example.

Thank you.
C.

albee1952 10-14-2004 08:19 PM

Re: Audio Rythm to Midi Drums ?

I'm a little unclear on the question, but I think it can be done(but no idea how well it will work). A trigger to midi interface will convert audio to midi. It can be done with an Alesis D4 or D5, a Roland PD16 or most electronic drum modules(Roland TD8, TD10, etc). Its a matter of sending your audio sugnal into a trigger input, setting it to the proper midi note/channel and getting the sensitivity set right for the signal coming in. Odds are that once you get it working, you will need to deal with a slight latency within the process as it takes a little time to convert the audio to midi, then back to audio again with your triggered sounds. Not a major problem as you can slide tracks around in PT.

wonderfall 10-15-2004 12:44 AM

Thanks Albee.

I actually meant a SOFTWARE solution with no additional hardware required : an application that takes a wav file as input and ouputs a midi file.
Has anyone ever programmed midi drums with an audio2midi application, and got a good translation even for the smallest and quickest bounces of the stick?

Thanks

C.

spkguitar 10-15-2004 06:09 AM

Wonderfall, there's this program called eKitTrigger that I downloaded when I first got the wrapper, with all good intentions of trying it, but never did.

Disclaimer: I have never tried this application, and I'm not recommending it, I just know that it exists and I'm pointing you in the right direction.

With that said, you could be a pioneer and let us know how it works.

wonderfall 10-15-2004 09:01 AM

Thanks SPKGuitar.

In fact the reason for my question is the following :
I am developping such an application which gives me very good result already. I just wondered if this existed already. Unfortunately your link doesn't work.

For now my application allows me to play drums on up to five different cans and get a midi file with each can mapped to a peculiar midinote (thus sample). All the little bounces of the stick are detected unlike with other Audio2Midi apps I used.

So I know most people here are more than mere budget home-studists, but what do you think of that ? (I'll try posting demos on Monday). I personnaly already use it, and I find it greatly useful.

Cheers
C.

spkguitar 10-15-2004 10:23 AM

Sorry.

fixed link

wonderfall 10-16-2004 04:17 AM

Thanks for the link!