Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   DigiTest Failure (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417638)

resonantRhythm 11-02-2021 05:47 PM

DigiTest Failure

Anyone have any insight on an HDX DigiTest Failure:

Code:

SDI 1 CL2SDI Loop Test - Failed
This is the ONLY failed test that showed up on an HDX2 system. This failure appears on the second card. The first card Passes.

I do NOT have the cards connected to any interface as it's a third-party interface and AVID has said to run the tests not connected otherwise you get a list of known failures (even with a MTRX).

The card is new (Year: 2020 Week: 41)

I've started investigating anything because Pro Tools won't play since upgrading to Big Sur.

JFreak 11-02-2021 05:53 PM

Re: DigiTest Failure

Take a look at this.

JFreak 11-02-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resonantRhythm (Post 2618149)
Pro Tools won't play since upgrading to Big Sur.

More info about your config is needed. I'm sure you have checked compatibility info here.

resonantRhythm 11-02-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2618152)
More info about your config is needed. I'm sure you have checked compatibility info here.

Mac Pro 2019 - OS 11.6.1
HDX Cards in Slots 5 & 6
Horus with PT64 Card

I've completely wiped and installed the OS clean.

I've tried running 2021.7 and 2021.10...both behave the same.

I have tried each HDX card individually and it's the same behavior. I have tried 3 different cables.

I've discovered tonight that 44.1 sessions work with 2021.7

resonantRhythm 11-02-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2618151)
Take a look at this.

The error is not part of that list.

Quote:

I do NOT have the cards connected to any interface

Darryl Ramm 11-02-2021 06:38 PM

Well Digitest is going to fail the loop test when no interface is connected. Well known behavior discussed in many past posts on DUC. (so next time you might be able to save yourself time and pain by searching).

JFreak 11-02-2021 06:42 PM

Maybe you need to contact support and ask which slot you need to put your HDX card in for firmware update?

I do not have 2019 Mac Pro but have read too many threads that it is picky about the slot. Some people have even given up and bought a cheap older Mac Pro for firmware update purposes only, but I don't think that is a good solution.

You are right in thinking it is best to update one card at a time. Whenever you have trouble like this, best to eliminate as many moving parts as possible.

I will keep you posted if I find something, but for now you may save time by contacting support.

Darryl Ramm 11-02-2021 07:29 PM

And

Quote:

I've started investigating anything because Pro Tools won't play since upgrading to Big Sur.
What exactly does this mean? Not show up as an option in the playback engine dialog? Or not play as in the transport does not go into play? If so what exactly happens on the screen, what transport buttons blinking etc. (and if you use Built-In Output as the playback engine the problem is not there?

HD systems... always try minimal systems troubleshooting. What happens when you pull out the new HDX card? What happens when you put that card in the original HDX slot? Test with the simplest possible config, one interface connected. A known good Digilink cable or swap several cables to check. If only two cards fail, try different card link cable. Always suspect power cables etc.

How did you upgrade to Big Sur? If it was not a clean install you may want to just spin ip a clean install on a spare drive or partition, install Pro Tools and not much else and see if that works.

If the device is not showing up in playback engine options then problems with device driver security approval would be high on my suspect list.... except if it runs DigiTest that should not be a problem.

What did Avid support actually troubleshoot with you? What version of the driver is installed?

resonantRhythm 11-03-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2618161)
Maybe you need to contact support and ask which slot you need to put your HDX card in for firmware update?

I do not have 2019 Mac Pro but have read too many threads that it is picky about the slot. Some people have even given up and bought a cheap older Mac Pro for firmware update purposes only, but I don't think that is a good solution.

You are right in thinking it is best to update one card at a time. Whenever you have trouble like this, best to eliminate as many moving parts as possible.

I will keep you posted if I find something, but for now you may save time by contacting support.

I've read through all the articles about slot placement and the card[s] are in an 'Approved' and 'Tested' slot according to their articles.

There's no firmware update I'm aware of...they've been updated when there was a firmware update in 2021.3/2019.6 or whatever it was so they are on the latest [confirmed in DigiTest].

I have reached out to support and my case has been in Queue for almost a week now.

resonantRhythm 11-03-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2618166)
And

What exactly does this mean? Not show up as an option in the playback engine dialog? Or not play as in the transport does not go into play? If so what exactly happens on the screen, what transport buttons blinking etc. (and if you use Built-In Output as the playback engine the problem is not there?

HD systems... always try minimal systems troubleshooting. What happens when you pull out the new HDX card? What happens when you put that card in the original HDX slot? Test with the simplest possible config, one interface connected. A known good Digilink cable or swap several cables to check. If only two cards fail, try different card link cable. Always suspect power cables etc.

How did you upgrade to Big Sur? If it was not a clean install you may want to just spin ip a clean install on a spare drive or partition, install Pro Tools and not much else and see if that works.

If the device is not showing up in playback engine options then problems with device driver security approval would be high on my suspect list.... except if it runs DigiTest that should not be a problem.

What did Avid support actually troubleshoot with you? What version of the driver is installed?

What I mean is:

I open/create a session, hit play. The Play Button blinks but the timeline cursor never moves [no audio obviously]. I can stop playback and change settings [like normal].

The Playback engine properly recognizes HDX and uses that. This happens even when I turn off the Hybrid Engine. When I turn off the Hybrid engine the error -6001 usually pops up immediately on playback.

I have tested with each card individually with a single cable connecting the HDX to the interface. I have tried 3 different known working cables.

When I initially upgraded [run the upgrade process from the App Store], I ran into driver issues. After sorting out the driver issues and this playback problem started occurring I have since started from a clean install.

On a CLEAN install [complete format of the drive follow by installation] of Big Sur, the issues still exists [with nothing else installed]. I always install the SAME version HD Driver as the version of Pro Tools I am trying to run.

Avid has YET to engage with me on my case as I said I submitted almost a week ago.