Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   best control surface for PT 6.4.1 please? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335216)

c-post 03-01-2013 01:47 AM

best control surface for PT 6.4.1 please?

Hello ~

For a vintage PT 6.4.1 system with the expansion cards, etc, what is the most sophisticated Digi control surface I can run on that? Any control surface recommendations for this oldie but goodie? There's no way I could run a C24 or a tascam 2400 on that, is there?

thx

~ c-post

crizdee 03-01-2013 06:52 AM

Re: best control surface for PT 6.4.1 please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-post (Post 2011891)
Hello ~

For a vintage PT 6.4.1 system with the expansion cards, etc, what is the most sophisticated Digi control surface I can run on that? Any control surface recommendations for this oldie but goodie? There's no way I could run a C24 or a tascam 2400 on that, is there?

thx

~ c-post

Hi,

I don't see any reason why you can't use a c24/control 24 or even the tascam. I'm sure the Avid one's would work just fine! unless PT6.4.1 doesn't have the drivers? but i'm sure i was using the control 24 with version 6, definitely 7.

Chris

sunburst79 03-01-2013 09:07 AM

A Pro Control with the Edit Pack and some Fader Packs could be nice. I should note that I haven't used either personally.

albee1952 03-01-2013 12:47 PM

Yeah, I'd say Pro Control(assuming TDM) or Control24(LE or TDM)

sunburst79 03-01-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2012040)
Yeah, I'd say Pro Control(assuming TDM) or Control24(LE or TDM)

6.4.1 should be the final release for Mix. I'm guessing thats what the OP is using.

I was under the impression the PC would work with LE if one copied the controller profiles into the right folders. Again no personal experience here.

albee1952 03-01-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 2012052)
6.4.1 should be the final release for Mix. I'm guessing thats what the OP is using.

I was under the impression the PC would work with LE if one copied the controller profiles into the right folders. Again no personal experience here.

I remember that being possible back in the day...but I'm not back in that day anymore:p. I also remember "TDMthang" that allowed you to run TDM software with LE interfaces:D(or something like that)....

Delta Music Belgium 03-01-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-post (Post 2011891)
Hello ~

thx

~ c-post

The most sophisticated Digidesign control surface you can run on PT 6.4.1 is a ProControl (with or without additional Fader Packs and/or Edit Pack). Next in line is a Control24, but it is no match for a ProControl. Both work by Ethernet, not by MIDI. Using the recent C24 is not possible.

Last in line are all the controllers that work by MIDI and support the HUI protocol, but you can't call that 'sophisticated' by any means

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 2012052)

This is correct, and is still correct for PT 10 and PT HD 10.

Btw, all this info is by personal experience (see system details below)

Craig F 03-01-2013 06:56 PM

with HUI he could use the Slate Raven http://www.slateproaudio.com/products/raven/
but it is MIDI based

an old Pro Control is probably the best option

wasn't 6.4 when the D-Control came out or was that 6.9, no 6.9 was the D-Command

c-post 03-02-2013 10:42 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions. Ah the control24 is nice, but it's got a massive footprint -- too big for my studio, I've already got a digital console. I've been working with a c24 the last few weeks in another facility, but it also is a little too large for my studio setup. I love everything these devices offer, but why do they have to be so huge? Latching from one solo button to another with a mouse is too cumbersome, but using a c24 to do the same thing covers too much area. Sorry, I don't mean to be too finicky. Actually the tascam 2400 is closer to an ideal size.

c-post

[QUOTE=Delta Music Belgium;2012083]The most sophisticated Digidesign control surface you can run on PT 6.4.1 is a ProControl (with or without additional Fader Packs and/or Edit Pack). Next in line is a Control24, but it is no match for a ProControl. Both work by Ethernet, not by MIDI. Using the recent C24 is not possible.

sunburst79 03-02-2013 11:52 PM

Another blast from the past is the CM MotorMix. If one could scare up a MotorMate and join it to a couple of MotorMix 's you could have a pretty capable controller with a fairly small footprint. But its not a Digi interface however they may be the next best thing.