Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Virus Indigo or Alesis Andromeda (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=46263)

Christoph1123 06-07-2002 11:42 AM

Virus Indigo or Alesis Andromeda

A little off topic but does anyone have any opinions on either one of these synths. I have an opportunity to buy one of them.

Chris

Christoph1123 06-07-2002 04:04 PM

Re: Virus Indigo or Alesis Andromeda

Slaterman,

Oh yea, you've tried all three and your opinion is the Supernova huh?

Chris

Slaterman 06-07-2002 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Christoph1123:
Slaterman,

Oh yea, you've tried all three and your opinion is the Supernova huh?

Chris

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep. I ended up adding the SupernovaIIproX to my keyboard collection (a Triton Pro and XP-80, among others). It's got a full, nasty, analog sound that blew me away (which the Indigo and Andromeda didn't do to me). If you're looking for an analog modeling synth, take a listen to the Supernova 2. If you're really needing to decide between the Indigo and Andromeda, of course, the Supernova's out of the question....

Novation just released version 2.0 of their OS, which is a pretty nice improvement over the 1.5 that came with the keyboard.

Hope this helps (and doesn't just come across as hardware bragging ...).

Slaterman 06-08-2002 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Christoph1123:
A little off topic but does anyone have any opinions on either one of these synths. I have an opportunity to buy one of them.

Chris

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah. Get the Novation Supernova. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

pk_hat 06-08-2002 12:17 AM

you may also want to check out the A-Station or K-station by Novation. You don't mention if you're looking for a specific sound or for a specific type of music, so I wouldnt rush out and buy a Supernova just yet. In fact, take your time and wait for more replies after you - hopefully - post more info about your needs. Synths have become so subjective to the point of snobbery, and you don't want to buy the wrong one.

Some to consider

-Nord Lead 2
-Nord Lead 3
-Virus KC (should be out soon)
-Novation A or K-Station
-Novation Supernova
-Roland JP8000 or 8080 rack (great deals used)

pk

Christoph1123 06-08-2002 08:33 AM

Thanks Slaterman,

Pk_Hat,
I actually have the NL2 and have had the NL3 in the past. I really think they are awesome. I'm just in the position to have only one and I'm need ing a synth that has the NL type sound but also alot more to offer. I'd love to have all three, the Novation, the Nord and the Virus to tell you the truth, but like I said I only have room for one and want to upgrade from NL2. The NL3 is incredible yet so expensive for what it offers. I have around a $1350 budget including the sale of the NL2. I've used the Novation Nova in the past as well and really liked it alot, very useful. I'm leaning towards the Indigo cause I know a place blowing it out for an incredibly low price, new.

Thanks a lot, Chris

accession 06-08-2002 08:41 AM

Quote:

Yep. I ended up adding the SupernovaIIproX to my keyboard collection... It's got a full, nasty, analog sound that blew me away...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah, interesting...

That's precisely why I'd choose a Virus over the Supernova. And I wouldn't be alone either. Not to worry of course. Simply a case of different strokes for different folks.

Phil [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

pk_hat 06-08-2002 11:51 PM

If multitimbral capability is not much of an issue, you should seriously look into the Novation K-Station at $699. This thing sounds unbelievable (to me), much better than a Supernova, which (to me) sounds a bit too trance/plastic like.

The new Virus KC keyboard - all black and grey - looks very sweet indeed and should be around $1400 from what I've read. That would be my pick but again, check out the K-station.

tommydee 06-09-2002 08:52 AM

i'm all with phil on this one....
i love good cheap gear, but for my ear there's not comparing the novation stuff to the virus stuff. a writing partner of mine recently got a virus B and it's wonderful. following FM's rave reviews, i checked out the K-station.... to me, doesn't come close in sound quality. even though it's way more expensive, i'd go virus over novation stuff.

t.

accession 06-09-2002 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tommydee:
i'm all with phil on this one.... i love good cheap gear, but for my ear there's not comparing the novation stuff to the virus stuff. a writing partner of mine recently got a virus B and it's wonderful.
t.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Great! I thought I was alone for a sec! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

...And now the Virus C Rack is fully specified, I'm seriously considering trading my other two bulky VAs (AN1x and JP-8080) and subsituting them with a single rack unit space that's got four times the power of both of my existing units combined.

Compare the filter saturation control on the Virus to the similar function (overdrive or feedback?) on the Supernova. The Virus simply oozes character.

While the K-Station may have gotten rave reviews in Future Music, the Virus came up winner in the upcoming "Synth World Cup Competition" as voted by the FM readers.

Phil (synth lover... and FM contributor)