Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT doesn't see HD I/O interface in Hardware Setup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=388087)

saspro 01-15-2017 10:02 AM

PT doesn't see HD I/O interface in Hardware Setup

Hello friends,
I just installed PT 12 with a brand new 16x16 HD I/O interface and HDX PCI card on a brand new computer.
Issue: When I launch PT 12 only "ProTools Aggregate I/O" is seen in Hardware Setup.

Yes, I installed the HD driver, and reinstalled. In fact, the only time the Hardware Setup sees my HD I/O interface is AFTER I reinstall the driver--the actual app that's up at this point is Avid Audio Server, not ProTools, btw. But once I click on OK in the Hardware Setup, that connection disappears; I launch PT12 (usually after a restart, but I've also tried it without restarting), and it again can't see the interface.
Also noteworthy is that whenever I launch PT and get to the start window, the interface makes a click, as it does when quitting PT. So ProTools is communicating to some degree with the card and interface. And obviously there is a connection to the interface/card in the Audio Server app, just not in ProTools, either the Hardware Setup or Playback Engine.
I'm a ProTools user since 1994 (srsly!) and I'm stumped---what am I missing?? I've tried:
-trashing the prefs,
-updating the HDX card firmware to the latest,
-installed and reinstalled both recent versions of the PT and driver (12.6.1 and 12.7),
-powercycling interface and MacPro numerous times.

My MacPro 5,1 is brand new (reconditioned by iBuildMacs), haven't installed any apps but PT on it, no 3rd party plugs either, and won't until I get it running right.

Thanks!

MacPro 5,1 running OS10.12
PTX PCI-e
ProTools 12.7 (or 12.6.1)
HD I/O 16x16

Top Jimmy 01-15-2017 10:17 AM

Re: PT doesn't see HD I/O interface in Hardware Setup

Do you have the Pro Tools Digilink I/O license on your iLok? HDX hardware won't work without this license.

Darryl Ramm 01-15-2017 10:21 AM

You need the digilink license *and* a Pro Tools HD license on the iLok for these to work, licensing this stuff is entirely separate from the HD driver.

saspro 01-15-2017 10:44 AM

I have the ProTools HD Perpetual Bundle license acticvated on the iLok (could I have opened PT without it?)
However, I'm at a loss for this Digilink license you both refer to. Can't find any mention of it anywhere. If I purchased an PTX system (HDX card, interfcae and PT12 w iLok) wouldn't I have what I needed?
If not, how do I obtain it? (read: If not, grrrr.)

Darryl Ramm 01-15-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saspro (Post 2407254)
I have the ProTools HD Perpetual Bundle license acticvated on the iLok (could I have opened PT without it?)

Sure you could have a Pro Tools standard License and would see exactly what you are seeing. We cannot guess exactly what you have done/how you purchased stuff/what lcesnes are physically on whatever iLok you have attached.

Quote:

However, I'm at a loss for this Digilink license you both refer to. Can't find any mention of it anywhere.
How hard did you look?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=digilink+license

Quote:

If I purchased an PTX system (HDX card, interfcae and PT12 w iLok) wouldn't I have what I needed?
If not, how do I obtain it? (read: If not, grrrr.)
If you are running 12.6 or later with a Digilink interface you need to make sure the Digilink license is on your iLok. Avid documents all that pretty well once you find the documentation, see the Google search results above.

You could also have found this answer by searching DUC, this is tripping up lots of users--you are not alone.

Top Jimmy 01-15-2017 10:54 AM

Hopefully this link helps.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...FAQ#DigiLinkIO

saspro 01-15-2017 11:09 AM

Okay, the DigiLink activation card was hidden in the box under some PC cables and packaging. Sorry--had I known it was another card I was looking for that might've helped.
And yes, I searched for about an hour on DUC and other sites and found no one with this same issue, must just not have used the magic search words. Darryl, you've been helpful to me in the past, and thanks for your quick responses, but I'm a bit miffed by the LMGTFY link. I followed all the directions to a t and I never heard of the DigiLink license. Of course I would've googled that had I known that's what I needed or had any of the documentation I'd read mentioned it.
And doesn't matter anyway, I activated the DigiLink I/O license and it still only sees the Aggregate I/O and not my HD I/O.
So then I restarted and relaunched iLok mgr and logged in and then found that I could activate it.
And it STILL doesn't matter, it's still not seen.

Drew Mazurek 01-15-2017 11:34 AM

Given that you've got the 3 needed things taken care of: HD asset, Digilink I/O, and HD Driver, and it's not happening.... I'd try reseating the card and exercising all Digilink connections.

saspro 01-15-2017 11:38 AM

Okay, Drew, thanks I'll try that...um...once I know what you mean by "exercising all DigiLink connections" you mean just reseating the DigiLink cables? Or is this a reference to the DigiLink I/O Activation Codes?

Drew Mazurek 01-15-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saspro (Post 2407269)
Okay, Drew, thanks I'll try that...um...once I know what you mean by "exercising all DigiLink connections" you mean just reseating the DigiLink cables? Or is this a reference to the DigiLink I/O Activation Codes?

Yeah, just unplugging, maybe blowing them out with canned air, etc.