Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Avid say that the Dock works standalone with an iPad (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=373678)

john1192 11-01-2015 12:49 PM

Avid say that the Dock works standalone with an iPad

hi, Avid say that the Dock works standalone with an iPad ... i copied this from the PT experts page ..

does anyone know what they mean by this ??

thx john

Darryl Ramm 11-01-2015 05:24 PM

Re: Avid say that the Dock works standalone with an iPad

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2307190)
hi, Avid say that the Dock works standalone with an iPad ... i copied this from the PT experts page ..

does anyone know what they mean by this ??

thx john

Presumably it means you don't need an S3.

john1192 11-02-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2307248)
Presumably it means you don't need an S3.

ah .. strange wording .. thx that makes sense

albee1952 11-03-2015 02:02 PM

The screen on the dock actually IS your iPad(not sure you were clear on that):o which begs the question as to whether the dock(with iPad) will work along side another iPad running the PT Control app?

Wall2Wall 11-03-2015 02:19 PM

I was under the impression that the Dock could work, standalone without the iPad, thru it's ethernet connection. Swore I read that somewhere.

MixerGuy 01-26-2016 09:24 PM

I had a quick demo of the Avid Dock at NAMM

As a professional "fader jockey" (engineer) there is one VERY big downside to the current design.

I am hoping this downside can be changed - maybe in version 2 software (so to speak) and be made a preference......

As it is now - to get the fader into any automation mode - you press the automation mode button on The Dock (read, touch, latch, write, trim, etc) THEN WHILE HOLDING THAT .... YOU HAVE TO PRESS "SEL" (for select) with another finger.

It is a two finger process to change the automation mode.

Every

Single

Time.

And that is 100% a deal breaker for me.

Why?

Because ....

If I am going to do something 5,000 times a day, it had better be easy, quick, and most importantly ergonomic!!

Does anyone else agree with me?!?!!!

john1192 01-27-2016 07:48 AM

I am in Full Agreement !!! they need some new blood to help them design hardware ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 2331123)
I had a quick demo of the Avid Dock at NAMM

As a professional "fader jockey" (engineer) there is one VERY big downside to the current design.

I am hoping this downside can be changed - maybe in version 2 software (so to speak) and be made a preference......

As it is now - to get the fader into any automation mode - you press the automation mode button on The Dock (read, touch, latch, write, trim, etc) THEN WHILE HOLDING THAT .... YOU HAVE TO PRESS "SEL" (for select) with another finger.

It is a two finger process to change the automation mode.

Every

Single

Time.

And that is 100% a deal breaker for me.

Why?

Because ....

If I am going to do something 5,000 times a day, it had better be easy, quick, and most importantly ergonomic!!

Does anyone else agree with me?!?!!!

YYR123 01-28-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wall2Wall (Post 2307777)
I was under the impression that the Dock could work, standalone without the iPad, thru it's ethernet connection. Swore I read that somewhere.

possibly but that would truly limit it's functionality and usefulness.....

Plugin control via the dock "could be" awesome.

john1192 01-28-2016 08:52 AM

here is how they get us .. give us the Free Control Software but make it so crippled that you have to buy a Dock for 1199.00 to unleash the Beast !!! i would not be surprised if it goes this way .. One Fader and an MC Transport - and you need to buy an iPad to boot !!!

i will be very surprised if the Free version gets all the features of the Dock Version .. if it does i will eat a virtual hat !!

mesaone 01-28-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2331524)
One Fader and an MC Transport

Whether or not it's worth it is a good question, but I own an MC transport and can assure you the Dock is not just a transport with a fader attached.