Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pro Tools in a Radio Station? Possible? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=8285)

Raven 08-08-2001 02:14 AM

Pro Tools in a Radio Station? Possible?

Hi,
Is anybody out there using Pro Tools in a networked setup in a Radio station? How can PT be networked with an On Air Automated Workstation?
Thanks in advance.

kptk 08-11-2001 12:51 AM

Re: Pro Tools in a Radio Station? Possible?

hi raven
we use pro tools in an radio station, but not within a network. but as far as i know, austrian broadcast (ORF) does with their station oe3. i havenīt seen the system yet, but my collegues tell me they can import bounced files into their cartwall system with d&d or, alternatively playback a session on air. i donīt think they have a fader start connection to pro tools. sorry i havenīt got any links
kp

dBHEAD 08-11-2001 08:05 AM

If you're using MACs, you can connect them via the ethernet ports and turn on AppleTalk to network them. We do this all the time to share video files at the TV station I work at (though ethernet is a bit slow for the size of video files, but for audio files and sessions it's fine. We can transfer about 1 gigabyte every five to six minutes during periods when the network is only handling a single transfer.

As far as an on-air DAW, I can't say I know anyone doing direct digital transfers to one. However, I do know one radio station which uses a DADPRO on the air but does all their production work on PT. They simply run PT through their mixer and accept that they'll have to do D/A to A/D conversion (the DADPRO is on a windows platform).

When it comes to the actual on-air product, there's no way you can tell the difference.

Raven 08-13-2001 01:30 AM

Thanks folks. On Mac or otherwise, if PT workstations can be on a network with the actual On-Air Automated Workstation it will be great. Can somebody give me an idea about the workflow?
Thanks

agarcia 08-13-2001 06:02 AM

For Automation we use BSI's Wavestation, for our simple needs we are on a peer to peer Win98 network. If you are using PT on a mac you can use a software called Dave, that will piggyback on your peer to peer using TCP/IP and allow you to become a shared machine. I know of one station that uses a Win 4.0 Server with a Raidto serve audio files to it's automation setup. You simple bounce the files out of PT and send them to the server.

It's a simple of matter of getting them networked and bouncing the files in a compatible format. Very easy!!!!

Raven 08-14-2001 04:55 AM

Will RCS systems accept wave files? Are there any radio Stns running on RCS and networked with Digi systems?