Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Jorge442 02-24-2002 10:09 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

da BaSsTaRd,

wow

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Kamurah 02-24-2002 10:56 PM

da BaSsTaRd!

First off...really cool tune. A different approach...and I like that. Good loops (but ya knew that didn't ya!)
I like the bassline and the guitar.

Now as for those vocs.....

Singer is very talented. I hear what you are talking about with the "thickness" and I would approach it from this direction:

Compression: Sounds like you need a bit more on the main vox. It doesn't need to be "squashed to hell" but your singer has a wide dynamic range and it sounds like sometimes her energy gets a little hard to control. I like to tackle this with "layered compression". Maybe two or three different compressors with slightly different settings to even out the frequencies without nasty artifacts. I generally never compress with more than a 2:1 ratio and usually no more than 1-2 db reduction. It is very mild, but if you layer these the effect is great.

EQ: This is just my opinion. I would roll off some (just a little) of the LF in the main vocal, and EQ the backgrounds even more. One good way to keep definition is to take the backgrounds and really cut out the lows/low-mids. Soloed they would sound like crap, but in a mix where all the other frequencies have their proper place...it works great. Watch out for sibilance. I think that this will keep that great "chesty" sound your vocalist has going for her while sculpting out frequencies so the BG VOX don't "muddy" up your mains.
Again, keep it subtle.

Caveat: These are just my opinions....I think the track sounds great and I remain a faithful listener.

Cheers

Kamurah 02-24-2002 11:12 PM

Ok...

I gots two (!) new songs for you guys.

First one is called "Enchanted" and it is a melodic trancy type song.

Second one is called "Get the Groove on" and it is a super funky tribute to Chic.

Both songs were composed in Reason and recorded in Pro Tools.

Please tell me what you think!

"Enchanted" and "Get the Groove on"...scroll to bottom of page

Cheers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Roy Howell 02-26-2002 12:22 AM

I have been creating samples with my Strat and a few plugins. It started with the idea of making the session itself an instrument, kind of a great big Strat.

Anyway, I used some of what I'm creating in this song, which is an extension of 'Jamaican Rain' (posted above). When you get a chance, see what you think...

Thanks, RH

'Lovers'
http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/Lovers%20.mp3

Kevin Genus 02-26-2002 01:52 AM

Vouts!!

I stopped listening to stuff a while back, but halfway through this recording my roommates were yelling at me to stop the yelling! Man, "In a Shallow End" was excellent and done right. Very nice.

Kevin

flashbak 02-26-2002 04:18 AM

Roy,
Really nice job on Lovers! If you wouldn't mind I'd still like more in depth coverage of the recording process.
1) How's the guitar recorded (direct, amped, or through a POD?
2) I especially like the sweeping sound (flanger)and how its frequency response doesn't really dull out the sound within the sweep as they usually do! How did you achive this (plugin, settings etc)?

deep pitt 02-26-2002 11:50 AM

Did anyone listen to HeyYeah! by Travis (tcnort) (see bottom of page 11). I heard this tune and immediately loved it (even though I'm happily married [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). I love the style and attitude of it (in a dark sort of way). I have been watching to see what the more trained ears out there have to say about it and haven't seen anything.

It's been a while now and I can't get the tune out of my head. I have found that stuff I love everyone else hates (which isn't good news for Travis) so I'm curious about what the rest of you all think.

Good job, Travis!

PITT

IOP Drummer 02-26-2002 02:59 PM

www.mp3.com/genomefactor

tcnort 02-27-2002 06:30 PM

thanks for the kind words there Deep Pitt !
I was beginning to think that it must have slipped under the radar or something...
Anyway , Im glad you liked it .
Its from a CD that I recorded with a friend of mine .

Heres a couple more Ive uploaded :

Brain Magic

<A HREF="http://www.gigphoto.com/music/billy.mp3" TARGET=_blank>
Billy</A>

and heres " hey yeah " again

Hey Yeah

Thanks again for the good word. You just made my day.

tcnort 02-27-2002 07:27 PM

IOP Drummer : good song dude. I like songs that start kinda easy and then jump into your face . I was diggin the break at around 2:00 into the song with the effects on the toms and the buildup .
Very cool.

Kamurah : " get the groove on " is definitly funky . Killer production there . those horns are great !

Roy : man , Lovers was great . Very wide open sound . What kinda processors are you puttin to use on all that ?