Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Can't select MIDI Notes after Quantizing them in 2022.6 [PT-289219] (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420833)

lesbrunn 07-10-2022 11:02 AM

Re: 2022.6 MIDI Quantize/Selection Weirdness BUG

This is bad. I'm rolling back... I wonder how such things pass through QC? I really believed MIDI had been improved.

Ghost In The Attic 07-10-2022 02:49 PM

I'm trying to reproduce this, but have not been able to. Is there a set of steps that will always create it, even in a new session?

take77 07-10-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost In The Attic (Post 2641619)
I'm trying to reproduce this, but have not been able to. Is there a set of steps that will always create it, even in a new session?

I was able to reproduce in a new 2022.6 session (PC/W10) doing these steps:

1. Create a new session (44.1hKz @120BPM)

2. Create an instrument track and insert an instrument.

3. Set to either Slip or Grid mode (able to repro in both modes).

4. Create a new MIDI clip by selecting a couple bars and consolidating (Alt+Shift+3 on Windows)

5. Manually enter a group of random MIDI notes onto the grid.

6. Lasso the group of notes and Right click to open Quantize options.

7. From the note duration drop down menu choose one of the groove templates shown in yellow (just to move the notes around a bit) and click Apply or hit Enter.

8. Try to re-select some or all of the MIDI notes and attempt to move them.

Some or all off the notes become immovable and/or the ones that do move duplicate leaving notes in place after moving.

Sometimes only one note stays selected.

Fortunately, I have some established tracks that don't need quantization at this time. I also was not able to reproduce when simply choosing 16th notes as the quantization value.
I've not yet tried any other note values except the groove templates (to change manually entered/quantized notes on the grid around).

Sometimes re-consolidating the clip (Alt+Shift+3) solves the immovability & note selection problem depending on the quantization value.

Working with basic 16th note quantization of newly created clips & manually entered notes in Grid mode has worked fine and hasn't created any problems so far.

Nick Morzov 07-10-2022 06:10 PM

I'm convinced they just don't have beta testers anymore

grayter1 07-11-2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by take77 (Post 2641622)
I was able to reproduce in a new session (PC/W10) doing these steps:

I was able to reproduce following these steps. Ugh...

[opens up Nuendo and keeps working]

tg

daeron80 07-11-2022 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Morzov (Post 2641627)
I'm convinced they just don't have beta testers anymore

People who update before spending a couple weeks on the DUC and Expert sites are the beta testers. Thank you for your sacrifice. :D

Eric Lambert 07-11-2022 11:24 AM

It seems to be working here on a Studio Ultra w/ OS 12.4.

Ghost In The Attic 07-11-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by take77 (Post 2641622)
I was able to reproduce in a new session (PC/W10) doing these steps:

1. Create a new session (44.1hKz @120BPM)

2. Create an instrument track and insert an instrument.

3. Set to either Slip or Grid mode (able to repro in both modes).

4. Create a new MIDI clip by selecting a couple bars and consolidating (Alt+Shift+3 on Windows)

5. Manually enter a group of random MIDI notes onto the grid.

6. Lasso the group of notes and Right click to open Quantize options.

7. From the note duration drop down menu choose one of the groove templates shown in yellow (just to move the notes around a bit) and click Apply or hit Enter.

8. Try to re-select some or all of the MIDI notes and attempt to move them.

Some or all off the notes become immovable and/or the ones that do move duplicate* leaving notes in place after moving.

Sometimes only one note stays selected.

*The duplicated notes may have been created upon quantize as they only show after moving

Fortunately, I have some established tracks that don't need quantization at this time. I also was not able to reproduce when simply choosing 16th notes as the quantization value.
I've not yet tried any other note values except the groove templates (to change manually entered/quantized notes on the grid around).

Sometimes re-consolidating the clip (Alt+Shift+3) solves the immovability & note selection problem depending on the quantization value.

Working with basic 16th note quantization of newly created clips & manually entered notes in Grid mode has worked fine and hasn't created any problems so far.

I followed these instructions and cannot duplicate the problem. I am on an old 2012 Chesegrater Mac running Mojave.

take77 07-11-2022 05:14 PM

Well that's actually good that you and others are unable to reproduce.
I'm not doing any quantize tasks in my projects at this time but can see how this would be a downer for those affected.
So I tried out a couple quick tests to help ascertain some of the whys and wherefores of the issue.

Let's stay encouraged knowing at least MIDI is being given attention.
It's possible the issue can be addressed in the next release and join the list of other recent fixes.

Thank you to those who have submitted a support ticket to address this.

Tubthumper 07-11-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 2641671)
People who update before spending a couple weeks on the DUC and Expert sites are the beta testers. Thank you for your sacrifice. :D

Ha, yes, this is the cold light of day.

What is the "Expert" site?