Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   external effects (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=120392)

tshev 11-07-2004 12:25 PM

external effects

This is a pretty simple problem that I'm hoping
someone can help me with, because I can't figure it
out from a reference book. I want to use an
external effect and I believe that I've got
the cables hooked up properly. In fact, the
display shows that a signal is running through
the effects box. But I can't figure out
how to access the processed signal. When I
set the insert, it tells me that the insert or
output is already occupied. What am I doing
wrong? Do I have to record on another track
to hear the signal? Doesn't seem as though you
have to do that with the onboard effects.
Thanks.
T

SimpleNatureSpirit 11-07-2004 12:44 PM

Re: external effects

A little more information might be helpful.

If this is an MBox, and you are using the inserts on the back of the MBOX, it is wired differently.
The MBox inserts are not seen in PTLE, if I recall correctly. These inserts on the back panel of the MBox are send and recieve connections all in one. T/R/S, tip is send, ring is return, and sleeve is common. If this is miswired, you would be sending the signal but nothing is coming back. You would need a y-cable configured with 1 T/R/S breaking out into 2 T/S connectors.

If this is an OO1 or OO2, then you need to use the same output number as your input number from our outboard gear. The the insert you are talking about is where the plugins go. You can also route these signals anywhere you want with Sends or Track I/O. Configure things with you Aux tracks for moving the signal around protools sessions.

Third Eye Studios 11-07-2004 12:57 PM

Are you trying to set up a hardware insert or set up a send and return? In the PT 6.4 reference guide page 446, it tells you about both of these. With an 001 or 002, if you want to set up and insert (compressor, gate, eq) make sure to use the same numbered physical input and output. If you use output 6 on the PT hardware (001 or 002) to your compressor in, then use input 6 on the PT hardware to bring the signal back in from the compressor output. These are assigned in the menu that comes up when you click on an insert (same as a plug-in but go to I/O instead). If you want to set up a send and return (reverb, delay, FX) then just assign everything you want to send an unused PT output (say output 7), then patch that into the FX input, then patch the FX output into an unused PT input (say input 7-or 7-8 for stereo) . Then you have to create a new track in PT (an aux input uses no available voices) and assign the input of the new track the same as the FX coming in to PT (we'll stick with 7 or 7-8 for stereo).

fredsparky 11-07-2004 01:07 PM

Here are instructions to set up a digital outboard device for Protools. In this case I used a TC Electronic Finalizer using SPDIF connections.

Setting your I/O's:

1. Open a ProTools session;

2. Under "Setups" select "Hardware Setup" and deselect SPDIF Mirroring and press OK;

3. Under "Setups" select "I/O Setup";

4.You will make sure changes are reflected in "Inpout, Output, and Insert" No changes will be made to "Bus" The changes are as foillows: In each input- output and insert, select "new Path" then double click "New Path 1 and rename "17-18"; select "Stereo" then click on one of the 17 or 18 SPDIF boxes and it will display a "L R" just like the boxes above. Then select "sub path" and rename to 17 and 18 then select "mono" and double click a box for each and it will display an "M" like the subpaths above. So do that for input output and insert. Don't close the box yet;

5. Before closing the I/O setup box- Select "Export Settings" at the bottom and save where the other I/O settings are- you will need to give the settings a name and then press "Save"; then in the I/O box select "OK" and the box will close. You have completed the I/O set up (you will still have the old ones);

5. When you open a new session you will get a note "Your I/O Set Up has changed since last time......: Don't worry, just select "OK". If you want the I/O set up you just added- then open the "Settings" then "I/O setup"; then at the bottom of the I/O Box select "Import Settings" select the file your previously created and saved and select "Open". It will then say "Delete Existing Unused Paths" and select "No" Now all your I/O's are set!!!!

Hooking up the outboard device using SPDIF:

1. They use RCA jacks; 001 SPDIF line out to external device SPDIF line in; and external device SPDIF line out to 001 SPDIF line in. Now you are ready.

Now in a PT session, you have channel 17 and 18 settings in Sends and Inserts in all audio and master fader tracks. For the inserts you'll find the device under 17-18 under "I/O"- not plugins.
Put a limiter in the chain insert prior to I/O so you dont spike your external device and compare the effect using the effects "bypass function" to get the right settings.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Mike

tshev 11-07-2004 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the postings. They were a huge
help. I have one other question. I've learned
that I can monitor the effects by plugging my
headpones into an assigned output. But I don't
hear them when I use the monitor jack. This is
not a huge issue, but is there someway that I
could hear the processed signal through the
monitor jack?
Thanks.
T

SimpleNatureSpirit 11-07-2004 08:03 PM

Just follow your signal path to where you have the processed signal going or make an aux track just for this.

Still not sure what your hardware is, if this is an MBox, you have a MIX knob at the bottom to hear either the input or processed signal through the headphone jack.

tshev 11-09-2004 08:00 PM

Got it! Thanks.

solivan2010 09-15-2010 08:56 AM

Hi Fredsparky,

In the instructions you laid out for "tshev" on how to setup the I/O, can you tell me how to use those effects for each track. Can I send the recorded tracks to a particular track that has the effect on it and what kind of track should I create to put the effect on it and how to add the effect to it. I'm fairly new to studio recording and Pro Tools and I've been strugglng with this issue...

THanks

nst7 09-15-2010 09:00 AM

This thread is from 2004. Fredsparky's last post was in 2008. I'm assuming he's not around to answer your question.

However, some of us could help. Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do? I'm having trouble understanding your question.

solivan2010 09-15-2010 09:27 AM

Sorry, didn't pay attention to the date part. I'm new to the forum stuff.
Anyway, great if you can help me.

I'm trying to setup the hardware and I/O for an external effects processor (TC Electronic M-One XL) via S/DIF in Pro Tools. I have a 003 console. The M-One is already connected to the 003 (In to Outs and Outs to in). I'm stuck in the hardware setup but mostly on the I/O setup. And once the setup is completed, I'm not sure on how to use the effects on different tracks and what kind of track I need to created in order to receive the effects. I was hoping to use them as inserts but I'm not sure if I can. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks