Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sync 2 ProTools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413163)

PhiBee 12-11-2020 02:28 AM

Sync 2 ProTools

Hi all !

Here is my problem: I am using two MAC (iMac + MBP), one dedicated to sound and the other to video.

Usually I use “Video Slave” for video on the second unit, and it works like a charm: no lag, smooth, frame scrolling and no headache with the format! Connected with Ethernet.

Now I just bought Ultimate and still have Vanilla. So, I tested the same config: a Protools (Ultimate) for sound on one unit, and Protools (Vanilla) for video on the second. Ok, it works, but I'm late, I don't start immediately like with Video Slave, and no scrolling of the video in scrub mode. Is there a way to make it work like my first setup (with Video Slave)? Or is it just impossible that way? Not the format, I know there are some restrictions with Catalina ;) I can re-encode them, not a problem.

(both Mac 10.15.7, ethernet cat6 cable, PT 2020.11)

Ryan Young 12-11-2020 05:34 PM

Re: Sync 2 ProTools

Assuming you're talking about the software Video Slave, you should be able to set up your vanilla as a video satellite slave and your ultimate as a master. You could also sync the two through MTC but that's more complicated than satellite. Just put them on the same network and go to your peripherals.

PhiBee 12-12-2020 09:03 AM

Yes I’m talking about Video Slave from Non Lethal Application. Great program by the way [emoji106] using it for one year now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwv5ebtu7i...35.21.mov?dl=0

Now just have a look at the video: on screen you have both Video Slave and Pro Tools, VS down left and PT up right. Even if there are perfectualy sync, starting playing doesn’t work the same way, protools always late, and no scrubing at all

Am I clear ? (French guy trying to explain technical in english [emoji51])

WIP house Prod

minister 12-12-2020 11:31 AM

It is not clear, are you using MTC to connect 2 Pro Tools systems? As Ryan points out, there is a better way, Satellite Link. HD system as Master, Vanilla as slave. Put them on the same ethernet switch, and set it up it peripherals. Response is tight, you can loop, solo, etc.

PhiBee 12-12-2020 11:40 AM

Ok, ok ! Made a mistake [emoji51] So, Satellite only ! Because I put MTC too ! I’ll give a try.
Used to Video Slave that does not need either Satelitte or MTC [emoji854]

Thanks

WIP house Prod

PhiBee 12-13-2020 08:01 AM

So with Satellite activated, no change. It works of course, it's synchronized, but it doesn't start immediately, nor stop immediately, and no scrub. I would like to use my second Mac (with Vanilla protools) for video only, but it's not as efficient and functional as it is with Video Slave. Ok for audio (can use it for VIs, to take the load off the main unit), but not very useful for playing video.

I googled a lot to read about that subject, but found nothing to improve the workflow.

Maybe I missed something :rolleyes:

Will stay on Video Slave for video.

lucas f. 12-13-2020 09:09 AM

Did you disable the video engine in your "audio" Pro tools?

I too use Video Slave but on the same computer.. The video some time freeze for a second , do you have the same problem?

PhiBee 12-13-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucas f. (Post 2587307)
Did you disable the video engine in your "audio" Pro tools?

I too use Video Slave but on the same computer.. The video some time freeze for a second , do you have the same problem?

Yes I disabled it.
And no, no freeze, works very well, but maybe it’s because I’m using another computer for Video Slave.

WIP house Prod

joannakatcher 09-06-2021 03:08 PM

Hi there, I'm also using Video Slave, synced via MTC. Were you able to find a solution to the scrubbing issue? I had the same question:

When you scrub or nudge in Pro Tools frame by frame, the video hosted in Video Slave doesn't follow. It syncs perfectly fine when it's being played down there. Is there a way to fix this in order to check frame accurate sync?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

joannakatcher 09-06-2021 03:20 PM

Actually it looks like if you sync via Avid Satellite Link, you can scrub. But you can't if you sync via MTC (dumb).

"Video Sync offers seamless playback of movies in sync to MIDI Timecode & MIDI Machine Control. It works with all major DAWs including Pro Tools®, Logic Pro X, Nuendo, Cubase, Ableton Live!, Bitwig and Studio One - or any other device that can generate MIDI Timecode as a source.

Enjoy the tightest possible sync integration with Pro Tools|Ultimate™ & Pro Tools|HD™ using Satellite Link - for incredibly accurate scrubbing, selection, looping & moving in any direction in the timeline, or within Pro Tools® - while the picture constantly updates.

Video Sync's sync engine provides stunningly fast lock-up times and guaranteed tight sync - in many cases, better than the video engine built into your DAW."

Hope you're up and running smoothly!