Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Problems with MIDI Sustain Pedal while recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=279971)

ChrisSimon 08-14-2010 02:14 AM

Problems with MIDI Sustain Pedal while recording

I know, thatīs a problem, which is known for a lot of guys:
While playing along MIDI Input from a controller (masterkeyboard) works fine... While recording, the sustain pedal events will be released by random - impossible to play piano parts or something where you use Sustain pedal...

Itīs also on HD Systems, not just on native...
Every "workaround" with MIDI thru Instrument, check of the pedal (!!!) failed... still the same shxx as months ago....

Digi, itīs nice to see new features in the past like MIDI Editor etc, which is fine, BUT, why donīt get rid of these errors, which are important for "real musicians"????

Unbelievable!!

Chris

Hanswurstlsepp 08-14-2010 02:43 PM

Re: Problems with MIDI Sustain Pedal while recording

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSimon (Post 1651501)
I know, thatīs a problem, which is known for a lot of guys:
While playing along MIDI Input from a controller (masterkeyboard) works fine... While recording, the sustain pedal events will be released by random - impossible to play piano parts or something where you use Sustain pedal...

Itīs also on HD Systems, not just on native...
Every "workaround" with MIDI thru Instrument, check of the pedal (!!!) failed... still the same shxx as months ago....

Digi, itīs nice to see new features in the past like MIDI Editor etc, which is fine, BUT, why donīt get rid of these errors, which are important for "real musicians"????

Unbelievable!!

Chris

same here. Sometimes/ randomly sustain pedal releases "inside" PT-HD without relasing it in "RealLife".

loosestones 08-14-2010 03:25 PM

I get this too, the sustain also usually screws up when I'm punching in, or quantizing as well.:(

Steve@ZooWest 08-14-2010 06:08 PM

+1

Dizzi45Z 08-14-2010 10:47 PM

I see this a ton with Play's Virtual Instrument.

However, with Synthogy Ivory, I don't ever see this which makes me wonder if this is specific to certain Virtual Instruments.

When doing punch ins, I always have the pedal lane in view. It is critical that you punch in when the pedal is up (controller data is on the bottom of the Sustain Lane). Otherwise it will sustain the punch in until they press down and back up again on the pedal.

ChrisSimon 08-15-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z (Post 1651938)
I see this a ton with Play's Virtual Instrument.

However, with Synthogy Ivory, I don't ever see this which makes me wonder if this is specific to certain Virtual Instruments.

When doing punch ins, I always have the pedal lane in view. It is critical that you punch in when the pedal is up (controller data is on the bottom of the Sustain Lane). Otherwise it will sustain the punch in until they press down and back up again on the pedal.

Itīs really on both, virtual instruments AND "real" hardware stuff....:mad:
And , what drives me mad.....we get new stuff on and on.....but the basic problems, which are really on the roots, worked better on ATARI in early days... Hope, that anyone of DIGI/AVID read this..... The standard in Recording programs with such a big....itīs unbelievable!!!! Since years!!!!!!

tonwurm 08-15-2010 01:49 AM

same here, itīs independent from which instrument or VI is used, or which midi-controller is played (Yamaha CP-33, SY77) and it occurs only during recording

it seems that when the keys are released directly (in a very short time) after pressing the sustain pedal, then this issue occurs. I have this problem generally only with piano parts, playing many notes and making active use of the sustain pedal

maybe PT treats incoming midi-control events in an other way than note events (during recording), giving note events priority over controller events. if this was the case then it can happen that a sustain event is sent a little too late - only a thought...

Hanswurstlsepp 08-15-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSimon (Post 1651977)
Itīs really on both, virtual instruments AND "real" hardware stuff....:mad:
And , what drives me mad.....we get new stuff on and on.....but the basic problems, which are really on the roots, worked better on ATARI in early days... Hope, that anyone of DIGI/AVID read this..... The standard in Recording programs with such a big....itīs unbelievable!!!! Since years!!!!!!

Same here. No matter if use any external Synth or VI - just occurs once a while:(

Audiofarm 08-15-2010 12:27 PM

+1

I thought it was my good ol A-80 that is ready to be retired.

ChrisSimon 08-17-2010 08:02 AM

No reaction, DIGI, sorry, AVID??