Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Garageband Output into ProTools - Possible? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=197875)

spicyitaliano 05-22-2007 01:55 PM

Garageband Output into ProTools - Possible?

For a particular session, I'm trying to get the audio out of Garageband and into ProTools, in real time, using the optical outputs on my G5 into the optical inputs of my 192 I/O. I've had no luck. In AMS I've set the audio output to built-in audio, I've told it to go out of the G5's optical output. I've also set it to "Digital Encoded". Then in PT, I've set the hardware up to look at the optical inputs. I've set up an aux track, assigned it to the first pair of digital inputs, and no luck. I'm pretty sure I've done all the signal routing properly, unless I'm missing something. But when I playback Garageband, no luck. Any thoughts? Thanks.

sleadley 05-22-2007 03:15 PM

Re: Garageband Output into ProTools - Possible?

The best way I have discovered to get Garage band material into Pro Tools rather than doing what you describe. It is a pain to get the files into Pro Tools normally but.......
Lock all the tracks in Garageband, then press play (this will render the tracks to files), Quit Garage band. Find the file that you were working on in Garageband and then control click on the GB ICON and select the "show package contents" a window will open, then select the folder "freeze files" and open it. These files can be dragged directly into Pro Tools 7.3. Then you can set the tempo to the same as GB and do a lot more editing than is possible in the Apple app. The good thing here is that Midi tracks get converted to Audio files by the freeze function. (If you need to retain the Midi data then I use Logic Express to open the GB file where you can save the midi into a Midifile that can be imported into Pro Tools.
I would love to see the day when Pro Tools could use the GB AU Midi synths and AU FX. But at least this is a simple an painless way to transfer files to Tools from GB.
hope this is helpful
Simon L.

spicyitaliano 05-22-2007 03:28 PM

Thanks Simon, but perhaps I didn't clarify. "Real Time" is the key question in point here. Simply transferring the audio files is a pretty easy task. I'm actually talking about using the instruments in real time. I know it can be done, I've heard of this being done many times. If you think about it, there's really no reason why it can't be done. When PT is active, the system audio bypasses the CoreAudio driver and sends it out the system's on-board audio facility...which just happens to include a Mac's optical ports. Now Garageband can act like an external sound module plugged into PT hardware inputs!

So back to the problem at hand, I just can't seem to make it go. What's the deal?

Andre Knecht 05-22-2007 07:57 PM

Spicy,

See if any of the pointers I detailed in an earlier post (regarding optical connections to a 192 I/O) might be of assistance to you.

Optical Connections

IHTH.

spicyitaliano 05-27-2007 11:14 PM

Hey Andre, I looked through that earlier post and didn't seem to find much that applied to this particular situation - or perhaps I'm missing something? Doesn't seem like this would be a very complicated setup.

PasteEater 05-28-2007 04:23 AM

I have only just started playing with it, but perhaps Soundflower is what you are looking for.

Matthew Steel 05-28-2007 05:44 AM

Quote:

I've told it to go out of the G5's optical output. I've also set it to "Digital Encoded". ... Then in PT, I've set the hardware up to look at the optical inputs.

Which optical port on the 192 are you using? The ones on the digital I/O card do not support SPDIF (only ADAT). I suspect the Mac can't do ADAT. So, try using the optical port on the 192 enclosure, and setting it to SPDIF.

Also, I'm not sure what the Mac means by "Digital Encoded" but it may be a surround format rather than straight SPDIF.

Jeffrey Talbot 05-31-2007 10:01 PM

There is an easy way to do what you want.. connect the optical outs of your G5 to the optical in's on your PT IO.

That's the easy part. Forget about AMS. Go to your system prefs, set your audio out to Digtial. It's possible you may also hear it out of the G5's built in speaker, so if so, don't worry.

On the PT end of things, I'm going to assume you've got a pretty elementary setup.. no external digital clocks to contend with...

Go to Setup ->Hardware. On the RIGHT hand side, for Digial Format, select "Optical (S/PDIF)".
On the left hand side.. for Clock Source, select Optical (S/PDIF)". (make sure you do this in the correct order)

Next, go to Setup-> I/O Setup, create a new path, name it GarageBand, make it a Stereo input, then across the top, select the optical S/PDIF.

That should do it. You can create a new Aux Input, select Garage Band, hit play in Garage Band, and hear it thru ProTools.

Let me know if you are still having problems.

James Drake 06-01-2007 08:19 AM

I use the optical I/O on the G5 at work with iTunes, Quicktime, etc. No problems running through ProTools on an aux track.

Make sure you run to AND FROM your 192.

Go to Audio MIDI Setup and make sure that you set clock source to external.

Does Garage Band do any MTC or MIDI Beat Clock stuff?

I've not ever thought of using Garageband. Are there any useable soft-synths bundled?

Tim R. 06-01-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Go to Audio MIDI Setup and make sure that you set clock source to external.

In AMS clock source is "Default" and greyed out. I get audio via optical, but it clicks with unlocked clock issues.

Tim