Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Import session data main playlist imports unwanted clips (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411249)

Finnmaker 07-22-2020 01:42 PM

Import session data main playlist imports unwanted clips

Hey, I'm wondering if someone knows if everything is working as intended here, am I missing something or is this a bug:

I want to import only the main playlist of a track to a new template we have for mixing. Also I'd only want to have the clips imported that are on the main playlist. So none that are in the alternate playlists since there are a few hundred of these... But regardless of me unticking the alternate playlist option PT brings all of the clips from the previous session, only with the difference that there are now no playlists but the clips are still moved to the new location. Is this intended?

I'm on PT 2020.3 Ultimate.

The clearest workaround is me exporting all of the audio files separately and then match the track data, but we have about a 100 tracks and 11 songs... This'll take ages.

2nd option is importing the files like this, then choosing all unused files and deleting them, but risking the bug that some pro tools has had that it doesn't recognize the imported clip folders correctly and accidentally deletes the original files. (We've had this bug pop up twice on previous sessions, so wouldn't want to risk it)

Or 3rdly save copy in from the previous session and import the other way round. The issue here is that we have the template session set up with our S1 consoles and you can't import those with session data. (This way only the main playlist clips are imported as intended)

Last option is to do the third option and after that import the session data from that copied session.

Everything seems so fiddly compared thing that should work on it's own just with a single option when importing: "Only import clips on main playlists"

ZEUSS 07-23-2020 02:56 PM

Re: Import session data main playlist imports unwanted clips

This has happened to me. The regions bin was filled with files from the session importing data from even through I only wanted the files from the top playlist imported...

This was also a bug in the past as well. It has been fixed a few times....

Finnmaker 07-24-2020 01:40 PM

Updated to 2020.5. Still insists. The "Save Copy In" option works as a workaround and brings only clips from the main playlist. I'm going with that for now and then importing the copied session data into my template and deleting the copies manually.

Would still think this is a bug or at least an unwanted feature.

If anyone cares to try and replicate:
1.Create a track and record on multiple playlists, using duplicate playlist to create the new tracks. (not sure if the playlist duplicating is necessary to replicate the behavior)
2. Comp a track and consolidate so that only 1 clip is on top.
3. Open new session
4. Import session data from session #1, untick alternate playlists
5. watch how many clips PT imports.

Ryan Kelly 02-07-2024 07:50 AM

Ran into this with 2023.12.1 as well. It seems that manually selecting and de-selecting Alternate Playlists in the Import Session Data window is then only bringing in the main playlist but will see if that keeps working