Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PCIe cards not being recognized in my MAC PRO ProTools not launching with cards in (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=307852)

phatbeatstudio 09-19-2011 11:12 PM

PCIe cards not being recognized in my MAC PRO ProTools not launching with cards in

I have tried everything. I erased my hard drive with the 1X zero erase reinstalled the MAC OSX the PTHD9 several times but it still will not work
the cards now show up in digitest but not my MAC SYSTEM PREFERENCES SOUND in\out. When I try to run digitest it starts out fine than gets slower after only 5 seconds then stops. Then a message appears DIGITEST QUIT UNEXPECTEDLY. My PTHD9 works with no cards but when I install the cards it does not make it past initializing hardware then quits.
I do not know how to fix this problem I have tried everything I could think of somebody please help me out here so I can make music again

Mt.Everest 09-19-2011 11:19 PM

Re: PCIe cards not being recognized in my MAC PRO ProTools not launching with cards

Details would help us help you. Are you running HD Cards? How many? Pci-e?
What OS? Was this right after installing PT9? And so on...

You do say cardS so advice is to try just the core card alone.

MT

James Drake 09-20-2011 12:15 AM

Re: PCIe cards not being recognized in my MAC PRO ProTools not launching with cards

I try to do this:

Strip out computer, all pro tools cards and extra hard drives etc. Make it just with one system drive and nothing else.

Install fresh system drive or format your system drive. Install fresh mac os from DVD. Create an admin user.

Shut down the computer and boot as FireWire target mode. Use another computer to create a disk image of your system drive 'MySystem Fresh.dmg'.

Format your system drive again and restore this dmg back, this will test that the dmg is all good.

Boot your system again and create a new user. Log in as this user and tweak your system as necessary, run software update etc.

Shut down your computer and install your pro tools cards. Boot your machine and install pro tools. Run digitest to make sure all ok.

Do the FireWire target mode things again and create and restore another dmg 'MySystem PT Fresh.dmg'.

Now shut down the computer and add any extra hard drives you have or anything else etc.

Boot the computer and install any plugins you need or extra things.

Repeat the dmg thing again 'MySystem PT Plugins.dmg'.

If you have any problems along this route then you are doing something wrong or you have a hardware failure.

Now whenever you have any problems in the future you can just restore a dmg back at any one if these three states. It only takes me about 10-15 mins to do this instead of 1-6 hours depending on how many plugins and extra crap each needs installing and authorising.

I personally think this should be done before every major session.

the dude 09-20-2011 12:44 AM

Check for missing parts
R35
C255
C210
Or
C179
All are located along back edge of the cards

I'll bet one is missing

I repair these all the time, quick turn around cheaper than Avid

WernerF 09-20-2011 07:41 AM

The OP has not provided any system info. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no mention of a hardware IO being used. Hey, you gotta ask all of the questions. Also, is the P Tools 9 license an HD one? In the absence of either of these things the cards will, for sure, not work.

phatbeatstudio 10-01-2011 04:34 PM

this is the PTHD forum so I use PCIe and a 192 and 96 interface and HD9
I called Avid and they think its a missing a R piece as someone said earlier
If someone is going to actually go on about not knowing what equipment
a thread statrer uses its probably faster to check out there profile than
write a complaining reply

phatbeatstudio 10-15-2011 11:35 PM

My cards were broke so I sent them back to AVID and they did a GREAT job
way faster than I thought it would take I have have read other posts of people saying AVIDs support is not very good
to be honest I was starting to think that myself until my HD cards went down and AVID totally came through for me AVID THANK YOU