Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   ?? Ghost Vocal ?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421042)

larsongs 07-24-2022 11:56 AM

?? Ghost Vocal ??

Somehow on one of my Projects there is what I would call a Ghost Vocal.. I've searched every way I can think of to isolate it including muting every Channel.. But it's still there??

Any idea where it's coming from & how I can eliminate it?

I'm using a 2012 MacBookPro & PT10.. OSX is the OS.. Is there any other info I can provide to be more helpful??

Thanks,

L

DigiTechSupt 07-24-2022 12:15 PM

Re: ?? Ghost Vocal ??

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot that shows all your tracks?

Thanks,
Tope

Quote:

Originally Posted by larsongs (Post 2642713)
Somehow on one of my Projects there is what I would call a Ghost Vocal.. I've searched every way I can think of to isolate it including muting every Channel.. But it's still there??

Any idea where it's coming from & how I can eliminate it?

I'm using a 2012 MacBookPro & PT10.. OSX is the OS.. Is there any other info I can provide to be more helpful??

Thanks,

L

Ben Jenssen 07-24-2022 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 2642714)
Hi,
Can you post a screenshot that shows all your tracks?
Thanks,
Tope

Usually, when people do that on the duc, the resolution is so low that it's useless. People usually resort to dropbox or some other service.

larsongs 07-24-2022 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right Side of Screen Shot..

Attachment 16152

larsongs 07-24-2022 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Left Side of Project Screen Shot..

Thanks,

L

Attachment 16153

Darryl Ramm 07-24-2022 06:26 PM

Yep, pretty useless fuzzy screenshots. DUC's cheap and nasty image downsampling settings makes all this frequently useless.

But there is not going to be any mystery or bug here or much others can do for you. You have to find it yourself, and likely if you are having trouble finding it you might be misunderstanding the Pro Tools signal flow, so test/experiment if in doubt/to understand that flow.

First make sure there are no hidden tracks, that's the easiest stuff.

You going though muting tracks.. but any pre fade sends won't be muted (post fade will). This is a common cause for problems like this. And plugins are not muted, they still process signals... which in some cases (more VI ones) can cause confusion.

So when you mute all tracks you still hear stuff? That will be sends messing with you.

If debugging all the sends/bussing is getting too much for you you can make tracks inactive which absolutely stops them playing anything off disk. A binary search there should be relatively quick, find the spot where the ghost vocal is, disable half the tracks, disable half those if it still appears, enable half the disabled tracks if it does not. etc. Also just attacking this from a bus viewpoint might help, e.g. going though and muting all sends to busses etc until a particular bus is totally quiet should help.. then go to the next bus and repeat until you find a bus the ghost vocal is on... it's likely not coming from a direct track if you have muted them all.

Edit: got all confused writing about the bus suggestion, I meant listen to each bus separately (assign it to an output by itself and listen to that bus) and if you hear it on that bus then go mute the sends and tracks going to the bus.

larsongs 07-24-2022 10:03 PM

I've tried some of the things you’ve mentioned.. I’ll try the others you mentioned & see..

Thanks

L

albee1952 07-25-2022 08:35 AM

Do you have Melodyne in the session?

larsongs 07-25-2022 11:26 AM

What is Melodyne? I do have Nord 5D73 Keyboard & a live Piano Track...

I tuened off Comp, EQ, DEsser, Rev, Delay, Chorus & every Plug-in. First, one at a time.. Then played each idvidually & Listened to see if it made a difference.. It didn't...

Then all of a sudden for no reason I can come up with the Ghost Vocal was gone??? So I quickly Bouced the Mix to a Stereo Mix Bounce Track..

Haven't checked yet today to see what surprise might be in store... I'll let you all know..

Thanks,

L

albee1952 07-25-2022 04:31 PM

Hmmm, in any case, if you don't know what Melodyne is, then you don't have it:D Another possibility; a track that you mute keeps un-muting because of automation. Hope you get it sorted:o