Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Pro Tools Flex Renaming Back To Ultimate (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422477)

Chevron 11-18-2022 05:05 AM

Pro Tools Flex Renaming Back To Ultimate

In a U-Turn it seems Avid is dropping the Flex name, to revert back to Ultimate. Along with a healthy price drop

Pro Tools Info

Sonopolis 11-18-2022 05:35 AM

Re: Pro Tools Flex Renaming Back To Ultimate

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/6c...e79020a0dc.gif

More development, less marketing...

EdwardWilliam 11-18-2022 05:47 AM

Flex is as flex does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

uptheoctave 11-18-2022 05:52 AM

It is, broadly speaking, a good decision.

For those of us with perpetual licenses it is a bit stinging to be paying $400 a year for updates, in comparison.

noah330 11-18-2022 06:02 AM

I have Ultimate at $400/yr. I still don’t understand what the difference is.

uptheoctave 11-18-2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah330 (Post 2653584)

There are two types of license.

Perpetual, which you and I have.
It was $2k ish for a new license and the $400 is for the yearly update plan.

Avid have just lowered the price of the second license, the subscription, which was a grand but is now $600, including the updates for 12 months.

Avid are, fairly obviously, trying to entice people away from perpetual licenses.
Initially it was because Flex had *loads of stuff that Ultimate didn't.
That changed and Flex and Ultimate basically became the same, Ultimate was the perpetual license, Flex the subscription.

Now they are exactly the same except Flex (now Ultimate Subscription) is $600, not $1000, but Ultimate (Perpetual) is still $400 p.a. for support.

I would personally like Avid to acknowledge the outlay that perpetual license holders have spent with them over the years. Two approaches would be 1) lower the support plan to $300 p.a. or 2) Offer the subscription switch over for $400 p.a. with a guarantee it remains the same for x number of years (like 5+)**.
Otherwise I am not interested.

(* loads of stuff I had no use for, really)

(** not holding my breath here)

By way of contrast Logic has made me just as much money in the last 10 years and cost me $200. I know Apple sell Logic as a loss-leader to get people to buy Macs, but still... my Avid software spend in the last 10 years has been $4k (and $30k in hardware).

Tweakhead 11-18-2022 07:37 AM

hilarious thread. and very good serious summary by uptheoctave.
I especially agree with the pricing observations, although even a reduced price of $300 rather than $400 seems high for simple annual updates.

I managed to purchase an Ultimate Perpetual reinstatement last year from a 3rd party dealer using one of my old PT11HD licenses for only $444. I banked it, and still have the code ready to activate.
I might just activate that rather than spend $400 on the "support" plan, or I might even use yet another of my old licenses and see if my audio dealer can do it again. At least I'd have full licenses for more systems and convenience, without juggling iLoks around - for an extra $44.

Paying $400 for updates that seem to always bring back twice the number of old bugs than what gets fixed with each build is getting really tired. The day after every release it seems the DUC starts filling up with bugs that came back from the dead. Avid sound like they've given up, and simply attempt to placate all us loyal users with more useless "free" content, rather than for example making all the additional Avid plugins and Air licenses permanent.

And yet again, as if I need to point it out, we still don't have an M1 Native macOS Code Build. It doesn't appear very ultimate or flexible to me.

K Roche 11-18-2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah330 (Post 2653584)

Appears there is no difference for those of us on the Annual Update/Support renewal plan still $399 a year

The only "change" is for those who are on the Annual "Subscription" plan now $599 a year down from $999

smurfyou 11-18-2022 08:15 AM

This reminds me of Microsoft constantly renaming their products for no reason.

Tweakhead 11-18-2022 08:30 AM

Maybe they can change it again by the end of the day to "Pro Tools Inflexible" and "Pro Tools Penultimate"