Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I Need a small yet super fast midi player with loop playback feature (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=79952)

GuitarEasley 07-26-2002 11:14 PM

I Need a small yet super fast midi player with loop playback feature

Howdy,
I am looking for a really small yet super fast midi player. It would be nice if it had the feature of allowing me to select a section of the midi and 'loop the playback'(so that it will play that section over and over for me just like the loop playback feature in PTLE.

I know I could use PTLE for this but I am looking for something really small & stable that does'nt require much of my computer so I can quickly hunt through a lot of midi and also use it's loop-playback feature while I have other programs open such as microsoft word.

PlugInJunky 07-30-2002 07:06 PM

Re: I Need a small yet super fast midi player with loop playback feature

My Question is, Why would you want to play a midi loop while you are in word? Are you programming or typing up your term paper....?....

accession 07-30-2002 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PlugInJunky:
My Question is, Why would you want to play a midi loop while you are in word? Are you programming or typing up your term paper....?....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It makes an excellent distraction. Look at me now! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I'm not sure why one can't just use Pro Tools for this though?

A basic session (no plug-ins) is hardly taxing on the CPU, and I can happily run Pro Tools, Word, Internet Explorer together, same extension set (Mac).

I only run the 'Pro Tools' set when I want the last ounce of performance or reliability for clients. Even then I've never been faced with any obvious extension confliction issues.

Phil

GuitarEasley 07-30-2002 11:22 PM

gentlemen,

Thanks for taking an interest in my question I see you have many questions yourselves and I apologize for not sharing with you more of my intentions and reasons for desiring such an application.

Let me elaborate more:

Often when I am working in Sibelius or Finale's music notation software, I find myself browsing through my midi file collection. I often grab some midi of some drum patterns. I also grab some midi of an odd tango, a little horn section, etc. Now, mind you, I have well over 200 midi drum patterns alone, not to mention the tangos, horn sections, etc. While I am working in Sibelius or Finale and I have a music idea in my head the last thing I really want to do is open up my Pro Tools(which is fully loaded with the Waves and bombfactory plugins) and start browseing for midi with it. That is a a lot of midi files to look through.

Another situation I don't often like to be in is having to import a 15 page chamber orchestra directly into my Sibelius or Finale when I just want to import a tiny section or riff of it. It confuses me and breaks my 'musical concentration'(what little I have [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) sometimes. But I don't know if there is anything I can do about that or not?

Sometimes I even like to just play a tiny part of the midi and listen to it for ideas and not even import it (hence a loop playing desire).

I suppose what I am looking for is almost a sort of a speedy 'midi-browser', yet I still suspect I need a small yet super fast 'midi player'.

However, I could be wrong, I might not need another application for this...There might be a 'work-around' that will suit my interests. I appreciate any good ideas from you all. This is sort of a unique composer/music writer's problem. You guys may not be able to help me. I have tried to figure an efficient way to meet my needs with Sibelius or Finale but I have'nt had much luck because what I want to do occurs before I import it to Sibelius and/or Finale.

I know virtually nothing about working with midi other than how to import it into a music notation program. I am not at all experienced yet with Pro Tools midi capabilities accept I do like it's editing features after I import it. I just wish there was a way to quickly play(or even preview) some midi, chop off a bit, and throw it into my music notation program all in one clean and easy 'swoop'.

(Keep in mind I am using Windows software)

I apologize in advance if this is a 'newbie' topic. Also, there could very well be a simple solution or workaround to my problem that I am overlooking. I am not trying to boast but I can be mighty talented at making things more complicated than they really are. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It would'nt be the first time I have "taken a country mile" and done things 'the hard way' [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Please help me if you can.

& Take care,

GuitarEasley