Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   DIGI 002 Control Surface with newer AVID S1? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418242)

halipino123 12-16-2021 10:49 AM

DIGI 002 Control Surface with newer AVID S1?

Hi guys, don't mean to kick a dead horse (so to speak) but a few things have changed since I last asked about keeping my DIGI 002 Control Surface in play and not to the graveyard.

I have decided to finally upgrade my win 7/PT 10 legacy system to a "new" PC that will have the PT perpetual license and an RME Fireface UCX II USB Interface along with a new AVID S1 EUCON Desktop Control Surface.

The RME Fireface has an optical input so my question is: (as dumb as it maybe, cuz I don't know lol) can I slave my good ol' DIGI 002 into the RME using optical and keep it as a way to use all the extra inputs/outputs on the back of the unit or would the 002 controller be in conflict with the newer AVID S1?

My guess is there could be legacy driver conflicts with the 002???
Is this an utter waster of time and effort?

If anything I just keep the 002 and my old win 7 system as "Studio B" backup system.

Thank you
:-)

JFreak 12-16-2021 11:27 AM

Re: DIGI 002 Control Surface with newer AVID S1?

Someone more familiar to this than myself could confirm, but I do not think EUCON works together with any other protocol.

halipino123 12-16-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2622799)
Someone more familiar to this than myself could confirm, but I do not think EUCON works together with any other protocol.

My guess is that the 002 won't get to play with the newer stuff but I just had a small hope that I could lightpipe/optical the signal(s) into the RME interface and make use of all the other inputs if i ever needed them.

JFreak 12-16-2021 11:36 AM

There is no standalone mode for 002, you need to operate it as interface.

Darryl Ramm 12-16-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2622803)
There is no standalone mode for 002, you need to operate it as interface.

I am working on my Finish humor recognition… was this sarcasm? 🙂

Actually the 002 has a stand alone mode. It is the 003 that does not, an easy thing to flip remembering.

There is this *amazing* thing called documentation, the 002 manual has a whole very well written chapter on stand alone operation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JFreak 12-16-2021 12:15 PM

Oh, my bad if 002 console has. I stand corrected. I had 002 rack once and it did not have, thus when I refer to 002 I (obviously errorneusly) talk about 002R

halipino123 12-16-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2622810)
Oh, my bad if 002 console has. I stand corrected. I had 002 rack once and it did not have, thus when I refer to 002 I (obviously errorneusly) talk about 002R

So if I am reading this correctly:

Yes, the 002 has a stand alone mode, so if I flip it into stand alone mode and optical/light-pipe it to my new RME interface there should be a way to keep this in play?

That would be pretty stinking cool if I could. :-)

JFreak 12-16-2021 12:31 PM

User Guide Chapter 7 says so, take a look. But AFAIK it is only for 002 console, not 002 rack. Not sure why. But at that time I switched my 002 rack to MIX gear which had standalone mode.

Darryl Ramm 12-16-2021 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by halipino123 (Post 2622812)
That would be pretty stinking cool if I could. :-)

halipino123 12-16-2021 12:54 PM

Poor Luke, even he gets the RTFM biz... hahhaa

albee1952 12-16-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halipino123 (Post 2622817)
Poor Luke, even he gets the RTFM biz... hahhaa

:p:p:p
Back to the question at hand, given the sound quality of RME( excellent) and the sound quality of the 002(bland and lame), my recommendation would be to sell the 002(or donate, or pair with an older computer to sell as a turn-key setup for someone just getting started) and use the money to buy an 8 channel lightpipe-equipped preamp. There are dozens of options but here are my 2 strongest recommendations:
Budget option-Behringer ADA8200(the red one). At around $200-250, it works great, sounds miles better than the 002 and also gets you 8 more outputs.
Amazing option-Midas XL-48. At around $900, you don't get the extra outputs, but you get 8 channels of absolutely wonderful preamps for drums(it beat out both my Neve and API clones). Check these 2 out and ditch the 002 and I promise, you will not regret it(I have previously owned both 002 and 003):D

Darryl Ramm 12-16-2021 06:17 PM

Or use the RME for a while longer, decide how much you like their stuff (like I have.. now own three RME interfaces including a new UFX+) and buy an RME Pre12... :-)

halipino123 12-16-2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2622847)
:p:p:p
back to the question at hand, given the sound quality of rme( excellent) and the sound quality of the 002(bland and lame), my recommendation would be to sell the 002(or donate, or pair with an older computer to sell as a turn-key setup for someone just getting started) and use the money to buy an 8 channel lightpipe-equipped preamp. There are dozens of options but here are my 2 strongest recommendations:
Budget option-behringer ada8200(the red one). At around $200-250, it works great, sounds miles better than the 002 and also gets you 8 more outputs.
Amazing option-midas xl-48. At around $900, you don't get the extra outputs, but you get 8 channels of absolutely wonderful preamps for drums(it beat out both my neve and api clones). Check these 2 out and ditch the 002 and i promise, you will not regret it(i have previously owned both 002 and 003):d

OK LOL, the 002 is a brick,. it'll be a good backup system...
I guess all I would really need is a great 2 channel preamp for vocals and maybe warming up guitar from Kemper but I am not recording drums.
I am so novice with what gear is required it hurts (sorry guys - at least I can play guitar pretty good hahha)...
Would having a 2 channel preamp also be good for reamping/ pumping up the drum tracks etc. or would I need some type of a stereo amp for that task?

Darryl Ramm 12-16-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halipino123 (Post 2622860)
OK LOL, the 002 is a brick,. it'll be a good backup system...
I guess all I would really need is a greet 2 channels preamp for vocals and maybe warming up guitar from Kemper but I am not recording drums.
I am so novice with what gear is required it hurts (sorry guys - at least I can play guitar pretty good hahha).. would having a 2 channel preamp also be good for reamping/ pumping up the drum tracks etc. or would I need some type of a stereo amp for that task?

Don't understand the Kemper Mic preamp comment. The Kempler outputs line level and you can always use profiles with mic/preamps in them. I just would not be spending thousands of dollars chasing fancy preamps to try to improve a Kemper output, you have lots of control in the box and in plugins in the DAW. But hey I'm an Eleven Rack and Fractal amp sim guy.

I definitely don't understand a mic preamp comment about reamping with a Kemper. Ya poke it with a dry signal over S/PDIF and it does it's reampoing stuff.

For vocals it's a different matter, The RME preamps are very nice, if you want more color then there is a wide variety of choices especially in 500 series boxes. But look at mic and preamp budget together.

halipino123 12-16-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2622861)
Don't understand the Kemper Mic preamp comment. The Kempler outputs line level and you can always use profiles with mic/preamps in them. I just would not be spending thousands of dollars chasing fancy preamps to try to improve a Kemper output, you have lots of control in the box and in plugins in the DAW. But hey I'm an Eleven Rack and Fractal amp sim guy.

I definitely don't understand a mic preamp comment about reamping with a Kemper. Ya poke it with a dry signal over S/PDIF and it does it's reampoing stuff.

For vocals it's a different matter, The RME preamps are very nice, if you want more color then there is a wide variety of choices especially in 500 series boxes. But look at mic and preamp budget together.

Sorry man, I don't know the lingo as well as I should. I know some mix engineers send the drums out to an outboard preamp or compressor to make the drums sound big, that is what I was aiming for. And yes everyone here tells me about nice Neve clones and there sure are a lot of choices, gets confusing.
Thank you

Darryl Ramm 12-16-2021 07:43 PM

I would spend exactly zero dollars on any outboard gear and focus on plugin compressors etc. Where I'd spend money is mics and maybe preamps esp. for vocals, acoustic instruments etc.

EGS 12-17-2021 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2622863)
I would spend exactly zero dollars on any outboard gear and focus on plugin compressors etc. Where I'd spend money is mics and maybe preamps esp. for vocals, acoustic instruments etc.

+1

JFreak 12-17-2021 05:49 AM

002 is good so long as you have the serial auth code available. We are not talking about high end here, but it is usable if 18 inputs is enough for you.

halipino123 12-17-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2622903)
002 is good so long as you have the serial auth code available. We are not talking about high end here, but it is usable if 18 inputs is enough for you.

Yes Sir, I have had the 002 for almost 15 years and it came with PT 6.4.
all in all what all you guys are saying is the best route, look for a stellar Preamp that would go in front of the RME interface, I am doing everything but drums in my small setup.

Appreciate all the help (and not getting smacked around too much lol for not knowing as much as I should in this area):-):-):-)

albee1952 12-17-2021 08:51 PM

Re using the Kemper, I ran it(with regular mic cables) into a pair of Neve clones and it sounded killer(having a really good player didn't hurt:o). The player took the Kemper home and tried recording thru the mic inputs of the 002(he knows gain structure) and was not able to get a good sound. That's why I suggested that preamps can make or break a recording as much as the mic/di or whatever is being recorded:o I agree that the RME preamps are excellent, but they are(to my understanding) made to be very clean and transparent. Sometimes that is exactly what you need. Other times a preamp with "character" is what you need(which is why Neve preamps are so revered):-)

Ben Jenssen 12-18-2021 12:57 AM

I don't want to confuse things, but no one has mentioned the Command|8. If you really like the control surface side of the 002, I can highly recommend the C8. You don't have to more than plug it in via USB and you're off. Works great with modern PT because it talks MIDI, and should be very familiar to anybody who's used the 002. I just saw one for sale here in Oslo for less than 100 bucks. (Only problem I've had with it is when I try to use EUCon with my iPad, the C8 meters stop working. But I much rather have C8 than Avid Control on ipad.)

halipino123 12-18-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2622986)
Re using the Kemper, I ran it(with regular mic cables) into a pair of Neve clones and it sounded killer(having a really good player didn't hurt:o). The player took the Kemper home and tried recording thru the mic inputs of the 002(he knows gain structure) and was not able to get a good sound. That's why I suggested that preamps can make or break a recording as much as the mic/di or whatever is being recorded:o I agree that the RME preamps are excellent, but they are(to my understanding) made to be very clean and transparent. Sometimes that is exactly what you need. Other times a preamp with "character" is what you need(which is why Neve preamps are so revered):-)

Please remind me, which Neve clones are you using?
thank you

halipino123 12-18-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2622993)
I don't want to confuse things, but no one has mentioned the Command|8. If you really like the control surface side of the 002, I can highly recommend the C8. You don't have to more than plug it in via USB and you're off. Works great with modern PT because it talks MIDI, and should be very familiar to anybody who's used the 002. I just saw one for sale here in Oslo for less than 100 bucks. (Only problem I've had with it is when I try to use EUCon with my iPad, the C8 meters stop working. But I much rather have C8 than Avid Control on ipad.)

I decided to get with today's tech and got the AVID S1. Just a better decision for me to stay current. Having owned the 002 for so long, I do not thing it will take too long to adapt and hopefully all new equipment I am choosing lives happily together without too many issues.

halipino123 12-18-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2622863)

Hi Darryl, I know this type of question opens up Pandora's Box as far as what someone's favorite "go-to" plugins are but what plugin compressors were you referring to? I know there are tons of choices out there.

Darryl Ramm 12-18-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halipino123 (Post 2623022)
Hi Darryl, I know this type of question opens up Pandora's Box as far as what someone's favorite "go-to" plugins are but what plugin compressors were you referring to? I know there are tons of choices out there.

Yep subjective... there is effectively unlimited choice in plugin land, without any of the hassle of external gear. And "compressor" can be used to cover a lot of territory, different intents and uses. Start with what ones you have. You've got several compressors as standard in Pro Tools and built into channel strip plugins, and now the Complete Plugin Bundle is included with every subscription and perpetual support... you get more including Pro Compressor and Pro Limiter. And if something there is not rocking your boat, then tell folks here what you are trying to do and for specific recommendations.

albee1952 12-19-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halipino123 (Post 2623018)
Please remind me, which Neve clones are you using?
thank you

Chameleon Labs 581's. These are discontinued(I believe) so should be a bargain(I bought the pair for $600 and they were like new). Of course, you will need some kind of 500 rack to use them, but there are lots of options there. Don't just get one with 2 or 3 slots as the 500 platform is fantastic for adding all sorts of "goodness" to your setup. I had the 581 pair, a Vintech 573 pair, a Five Fish X-12 pair and a Retro Double-wide in mine and miss all of them:D

Quick followup, there is a Reverb.com listing for 1 at $299, but that seller has a pair.

halipino123 12-21-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2623162)
Chameleon Labs 581's. These are discontinued(I believe) so should be a bargain(I bought the pair for $600 and they were like new). Of course, you will need some kind of 500 rack to use them, but there are lots of options there. Don't just get one with 2 or 3 slots as the 500 platform is fantastic for adding all sorts of "goodness" to your setup. I had the 581 pair, a Vintech 573 pair, a Five Fish X-12 pair and a Retro Double-wide in mine and miss all of them:D

Quick followup, there is a Reverb.com listing for 1 at $299, but that seller has a pair.

Thank you :-)