Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ethernet to conect 2 Macs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=116817)

Notefarm 09-23-2004 08:49 PM

Ethernet to conect 2 Macs

hi all

Hope that some one can help.

I have a mac G5 with OSX and a G4 with OS9 can I use an ethernet cable to hook them up togther so that I can transfer files from one to the other? If so is there any confilcts with PT using this feature?

Would love it If some one could talk me through it.

Thanks in advance
Peace and good mixes to all
NoteFarm

cleft 09-23-2004 10:31 PM

Re: Ethernet to conect 2 Macs

Won't be a problem. Just get an Ethernet CROSSOVER Cable... make sure it's a crossover and not a patch cable... and hook 'em up. It's been a while since I've shared to an OS9 machine, but basically all you have to do is:

To Enable sharing in OS9:
1) Activate AppleTalk in Apple Menu > Chooser
2) Tell AppleTalk to connect via Ethernet in Apple Menu > AppleTalk
3) Enable file sharing on OS9 in Control Panels > File Sharing (click START)

To Enable sharing in OSX
1) Go to System Prefs > Network and select "Built-In Ethernet" from the "Show" drop down menu.
2) Active AppleTalk in AppleTalk Tab
3) Enable file sharing on OSX in System Prefs > Sharing (check PERSONAL FILE SHARING)

To Connect to OS9 machine from OSX machine:
1) Go to Go Menu > Connect to Server
2) Select whatever you named the OS9 machine (in File Sharing Control Panel)
3) Enter name and password (if any) as it is written in the OS9 File Sharing Control Panel.

That's about all there is to it. The OS9's hard drive will mount on your desktop.

More HERE and HERE

bb_aus 09-23-2004 10:47 PM

arr the simplisity of ethernet
if only the sofware behind it ran as smoothly

Rail Jon Rogut 09-23-2004 11:20 PM

I'd suggest that if the 2 Macs are adjacent to each other just power them both down.. hook up a FireWire cable between them and then power up the source (slave) Mac while holding down the T key and it'll boot up in Target Mode. Boot up the master Mac and the slave'll show up as a hard drive.

Rail

Notefarm 09-23-2004 11:45 PM

Thanks guys,

This is to be the best board on the net.

Thanks again,

NoteFarm

Vaphoron 09-23-2004 11:46 PM

I totally agree with Rail. Don't bother with the whole ethernet thing because sometimes its just a real pain to get them to work.

41217 09-24-2004 03:38 AM

If you have firewire on both Macs you can connect them that way also (see mac help for details)

Rail Jon Rogut 09-24-2004 09:11 AM

Quote:

If you have firewire on both Macs you can connect them that way also (see mac help for details)

.. or just read the post 3 above this

Rail

Notefarm 09-24-2004 02:55 PM

Sorry to keep this post going,

The reason for the Ethernet Conect is because I have my 001 on my G4 slaved to my 002R on my G5, and I would like to be able just drag audio files from one to the other with out powering down.

Everthing went well with the ethernet connect.but when I try to connect fom the G5 I get a message saying No response from server.

I have re-traced my steps about 2 million times, what could I have missed?

Thanks again.

Peace and Good Mixes To All
NoteFarm

Notefarm 09-24-2004 02:58 PM

Sorry

I figuerd out, I really can be a dummy som times, I got it.

Thanks again
NoteFarm