Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Voices,Voices,Voices..How to do it!? 002?MBox?HD? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=131133)

TheMadStudent 03-07-2005 05:14 AM

Voices,Voices,Voices..How to do it!? 002?MBox?HD?

Hey Guys & Girls
I'm looking for some advice.. new to the forum but thought cause it was a DigiDesign forum probly guna be the best place to get good advice!
Started Bachelors in Audio not so long ago, working on my ProTools cert and stuff, thing is studio time at uni on the TDM and HD systems is always going to be an issue.. i'm trying to find the best solution.. At the moment i basically have the issue that i want to mess around at home in ProTools to hear tracks and cut them about before i get into the studios and start patching into outboard etc. Which would obviously save studio time. Thing is with the HD and TDM system's we're using their are obviously far far far more voices and stereo outputs than an LE system with MBox or Digi002 or something.
I'm not concerned about inputs for recordings or anything like that i just need the option that will allow me the best option for mixing. The MBox is only allowing me 16voices which gets to be a problem when your mixing something off an SSL G with however many tracks.
Bouncing is an obvious option however as you all know its never easy to get perfect levels to a single track to then mix. All levels change every time you make even the smallest edit to another track.
Currently i only know people with MBox's and obivously the TDM and HD systems. I've scoured google trying to find the answers to my problem but to no avail, think you can help?
I basically need a workaround/solution that will allow me more than 16voices for mixing in ProTools. If there is absolutly no way atall of getting more than 16tracks through ProTools LE with an MBox then possibly start suggesting the best priced (cheapest, im a student don't forget) solution possibly in the HD versions that will allow me some more flexabilty for mixing.
Any help atall with this is very much appreciated as the main suggestions i get from my lecturers end up being.. book more studio or TDM all the way.. both of which are impossible for me currently.

Thanks very much and i hope to one day be in your places helping other new guys with their questions!

Nic
TheMadStudent!!
p.s if you want to hear a track i mixed yesturday with 1 of the studios, Yamaha 02R/96, ProTools HD, 2 AES/EBU slots giving me just 16 in's to mix with..
Mix Down

yOkO 03-07-2005 06:09 AM

Re: Voices,Voices,Voices..How to do it!? 002?MBox?

in PT le you have 32 mono voices, in 6.x systems
and there are 24 mono voices in 5.x systems,
so you´re talking 16 stereo, aren´t there some tracks you can make mono?
don´t know how many tracks do you have recorded,
when i was a teen i used to ping pong tracks in my tascam 4 track. just a joke.
anyway if you recorded in hd more than 32 voices they´ll appear as no output(voice dyn, no more out puts avaible)

TheMadStudent 03-07-2005 06:19 AM

Hey
Clever point you might be right, i was orgianally just routing all to the Stereo 1+2 but not 100% sure.. cause when i was bouncing, i bounced to tracks onto 1, i was playing both in stereo before the bounce and played the single track in stereo after and it didnt free any more voices?
Or is that just cause of the way im still playing all the others in stereo?
I'll deffinatly giv it a shoot tomorrow trying all mono as soon as i get back into the lab..
Thanks for your advice
Nic

tele_player 03-07-2005 07:58 AM

I'm not sure you get this. All your tracks, mono or stereo, are usually routed to outputs 1 + 2. But mono tracks only use one voice, stereo tracks use two.

Rock_Artist 03-07-2005 09:16 AM

PTLE 6.x support 128 Tracks of audio...
only 32 audiable ("Voices" but in a very limited manner)

Simple way of working...

Get the session from the HD to your home system.

Work on required stems turning off voices or even deactivating tracks not being used.

When you're back on the HD you have stems ready for fine tuning.

Regardless of voices HD & LE use different mixers so I always feels there's some adjusment to do when moving between the 2...