Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PC - vs - Mac -- A Breakdown For Everyone (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=58307)

Gilbus 12-05-2000 03:05 PM

Re: PC - vs - Mac -- A Breakdown For Everyone

West Philly sez:

"They call these PCs custom and then charge you up the ***** for it."

If you compare Apples to Apples (forgive the pun), you'll see that all of us (Drastik, AudioComputing, SoundChaser, DAWG, Wave Dig) are competitively priced with Dell and Compaq workstations.

"Its all the same parts as any other comps, check specification on DIGI web, build it yourself, dont pay someone else hundreds of dollars to do something you can learn on the web"

Well, yes - you can go and buy the components and build it yourself - but time is money, and many people are not comfortable putting PCs together. And of course, there is no after-sale support if you build your own, because you are on your own.

It's really about the relationship and the pre- and post-sale experience. That's what Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Nordstrom and Rolex are REALLY selling. If you're comfortable building your own computer and investing the time to learn all the tips and tricks and tweaks, more power to you.

You could also go out and buy a guitar body, pickups, bridge, tuning pegs, and a neck along with some stain or paint and build your own guitar, and some people do. Others, though, prefer buying a guitar that feels right for them and meets their need and is all set up and plays RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.

So please - don't go slagging off hard working people who are trying to make a living just because you've got an opinion.

-NorthJerzeyMuzikPCSoulution

aka Gil from Wave Digital

WestPhillySoulzition 12-06-2000 01:57 AM

I was not saying PCs equipement is crap, I was saying that custom built PCs, are crap because, I have seen then just stop working completely on multiple occasions. They call these pCs custom and then charge you up the ***** for it. Its all the same parts as any other comps, check specification on DIGI web, build it yourself, dont pay someone else hundreds of dollars to do something you can learn on the web. Also, this photoshop app. was run on a single processor, it is a unbiased anology to show how fast Macs crunch numbers. I am a copsci major at one of the biggest comp schools in the states, digital audio is not as different as you think. I am also very happy that you brought up the linux thing because the only draw back to macs is its OS, just because mac didnt design icould care less. When Linux comes into play, which it will with 0sx, and when Digi takes advantage of dual processors and linux based system, which it also will, These systems will be comparably as powerfull as TDM with # of plugins. I do all of my programing on unix, and if you have ever used it you will realize what i mean. PCs are dope, there is sick software like acid, and many others, I use one with my mac. If you are more comfortable with PCs buy one, just dont get a custom built one.
All i was saying is that in my opinion for future applications you will be better off with a mac, also all pluggins are written first for mac, all PT users who want to bring their songs to a TDM studio must have a mac. But you can do many diferent things with a PC.

studio09 12-08-2000 12:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gilbus:
[B]"I grew up around PCs then bought a mac,

The Only Question I Have is when will Pro Tools Free be able to go pass the 8 Track Limit and Use Bomb Factory Plugins
and be Untied to Specific Hardware

Gilbus 12-08-2000 08:52 AM

"The Only Question I Have is when will Pro Tools Free be able to go pass the 8 Track Limit and Use Bomb Factory Plugins
and be Untied to Specific Hardware"

I would think the answer would be: 'Never'

It's free for a reason - too many features, and it cuts into sales PT LE/001. I doubt Digidesign would shoot themselves in the foot.

-gil

BCBud 12-08-2000 05:16 PM

I think people who buy PC's from Dell, Gateway, and the like are fools. Here in Vancouver there are at least 50 small computer companies that will build a PC to your spec for about half the price of "chain" company or a department store PC.
Of course, if you wanted Office 2000 and a years worth of crap internet access included, Gateway is the way to go.
And most have at least a one year warranty if not a two year warranty. And If it did crap out you don't have to mail it to Butt F*ck Idaho, you just take it in to the store. I bought a loaded PII400 a year and a half ago for $1100, I have not had one problem with it. I am upgrading shortly, and I will definetly go for another system that is built localy.

ernesto 12-08-2000 07:35 PM

Oh my pecious neophyte.realise the truth.
a 450 mhz g4 is faster than a 1000 mhz pentium 3. a 5oo mhz g4 is faster than a 1000 mhz athlon. and a dual processor g4 just makes anything in the pc realm look silly.When the 1000mhz macs come out theyll be twicw as fast as 1000 mhz p.cs.As far as price goes a pc is to m mac like a ford is to a mercedes.

Any time you kids wanna go pro go to the apple store

apple.com

ernesto

ernesto 12-08-2000 07:39 PM

a 450 mhz g4 is faster than a 1000 mhz pentium 3. a 5oo mhz g4 is faster than a 1000 mhz athlon. and a dual processor g4 just makes anything in the pc realm look silly.When the 1000mhz macs come out theyll be twicw as fast as 1000 mhz p.cs.As far as price goes a pc is to m mac like a ford is to a mercedes.

apple.com

ernesto

yavuzj 12-08-2000 10:28 PM

Hi Ernesto,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ernesto:
a 450 mhz g4 is faster than a 1000 mhz pentium 3<snip>

apple.com

ernesto
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the childish comment. However if you want the real truth check out here. There is a real test that was done between mac and PC users.
http://www.digitalnaturalsound.com/logic_dsp/perf.htm

Go and check out only if you want to know the real truth and cry.

and email me. I will direct you to the right direction for configuring a PC.

------------------
Yavuz AKYAZICI
Guitar Player
Composer

ernesto 12-09-2000 05:21 AM

That was awful childish of me.But, most pro facilities use macs cause they have a good reputation.I use macs cause i like them and an evenly clocked mac is much more powerful than its p.c. counterpart.If motorola could just get those 1ghz g4s rolling out....theres already a 3rd party 1ghz mac.P.c' are a better value.There is a beauty though to the unity of conception of a mac.To me it boils down to a p.c. is like phillips vodka, a mac is like grey goose.a p.c. will get you there but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and a whole in the stomach. perhaps of beos was supported and intel or amd adopted risc architecture id use a p.c. instead i prefer to create my art on a work of art(mac).
p.s. my mac never crashes, installation is plug and play,windows is a cheap imitation of mac os,and os 10 should make windows look silly.

an athlon is tempting though my friend...

ernesto 12-09-2000 05:23 AM

That was awful childish of me.But, most pro facilities use macs cause they have a good reputation.I use macs cause i like them and an evenly clocked mac is much more powerful than its p.c. counterpart.If motorola could just get those 1ghz g4s rolling out....theres already a 3rd party 1ghz mac.P.c' are a better value.There is a beauty though to the unity of conception of a mac.To me it boils down to a p.c. is like phillips vodka, a mac is like grey goose.a p.c. will get you there but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and a whole in the stomach. perhaps of beos was supported and intel or amd adopted risc architecture id use a p.c. instead i prefer to create my art on a work of art(mac).
p.s. my mac never crashes, installation is plug and play,windows is a cheap imitation of mac os,and os 10 should make windows look silly.

an athlon is tempting though my friend...

[This message has been edited by ernesto (edited December 10, 2000).]