Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Carbon losing communication (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420232)

CHRIS AIKEN 05-16-2022 06:41 AM

Carbon losing communication

My Carbon suddenly had a “lost communication” problem the other day right before a tracking session.

I restarted the computer/carbon a few times and changed the playback buffer back and forth and finally it worked itself out.

Not sure what the fix was as I was doing everything quickly with players waiting to record.

Is there a known fix/tweak for this if it starts happening?

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eightamrock 05-16-2022 11:17 AM

Re: Carbon losing communication

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS AIKEN (Post 2637122)
My Carbon suddenly had a “lost communication” problem the other day right before a tracking session.

I restarted the computer/carbon a few times and changed the playback buffer back and forth and finally it worked itself out.

Not sure what the fix was as I was doing everything quickly with players waiting to record.

Is there a known fix/tweak for this if it starts happening?

Chris

My Carbon randomly dropped today for no reason. It reconnected itself, but it was the first time it ever ducked out like that and came back. Almost like the network connection reboot itself. the "net" light went out and came back a few minutes later.

macOS montery 12.3.1 m1 mac mini.

CHRIS AIKEN 05-17-2022 03:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I just updated to 2022.4 from 2021.12 so I’ll see if this helps.

dominicperry 05-17-2022 04:30 AM

Chris - I haven't had this problem myself, but there have been a number of updates in PT and MacOS to address this.
While I'm not recommending you update from Catalina - my Mac Pro is staying on 10.15.7 - there are things related to this problem in both Big Sur and Monterey.

eightamrock - I see you are on the latest version of Monterey to be supported, but you don't say what version of PT you are using - the latest one (2022.4) has some Carbon firmware upgrades to address this issue. You could even do the firmware upgrade and then go back to using the earlier version of PT, which may help.

Dominic

jeffro 05-17-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRIS AIKEN (Post 2637122)
...Is there a known fix/tweak for this if it starts happening?...

I remember the Big Sur 11.3 release improved communication, so might be worth checking a newer OS (set up a test volume to boot from).

Also, from the 2022.4 Release Notes:
  • Fixed an issue where Pro Tools would occasionally lose connection with Pro Tools | Carbon (PT-278325)
Let us know if you see this issue again and well start a support case (or you can start one from my.avid.com > Access The Support Center).

eightamrock 05-17-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2637184)
Chris - I haven't had this problem myself, but there have been a number of updates in PT and MacOS to address this.
While I'm not recommending you update from Catalina - my Mac Pro is staying on 10.15.7 - there are things related to this problem in both Big Sur and Monterey.

eightamrock - I see you are on the latest version of Monterey to be supported, but you don't say what version of PT you are using - the latest one (2022.4) has some Carbon firmware upgrades to address this issue. You could even do the firmware upgrade and then go back to using the earlier version of PT, which may help.

Dominic

Sorry, yes Im using 2022.4. I was previously having an issue where the connection would drop regularly and I'd have to reboot pro tools, the computer, and the carbon to get things back online. That was resolved.

The above issue is new and has only happened once when. I should note I was NOT in PT when it happened. I was using the Carbon for a zoom call. LOL

CHRIS AIKEN 05-18-2022 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2637184)

Dominic

Thanks for the input. I upgraded protools and the firmware on the carbon updated. I’ll see if this fixes it…if not I’ll go to a higher OS.

SoundEng1 06-19-2022 06:20 PM

I'm Running the Latest Version of Protools 2022.5 and Bug Sur 12.4. Super slow startups, to no boot up at all, and dropouts.

dominicperry 06-20-2022 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundEng1 (Post 2639859)
I'm Running the Latest Version of Protools 2022.5 and Bug Sur 12.4. Super slow startups, to no boot up at all, and dropouts.

No such thing as Big Sur 12.4

I doubt if slow start-up and boot failures (do you mean PT start-up failures or OS boot failures?) have anything to do with Carbon, but they might point to a problem with your machine/OS/PT installation, which then make communication problems with Carbon more likely.

What Mac are you using, what spec is it, and how are you connecting the Carbon (Ethernet port, adapter or adapters)? Anything else on that port?

Dominic

SoundEng1 06-20-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominicperry (Post 2639871)
No such thing as Big Sur 12.4

I doubt if slow start-up and boot failures (do you mean PT start-up failures or OS boot failures?) have anything to do with Carbon, but they might point to a problem with your machine/OS/PT installation, which then make communication problems with Carbon more likely.

What Mac are you using, what spec is it, and how are you connecting the Carbon (Ethernet port, adapter or adapters)? Anything else on that port?

Dominic

Excuse Me, Big Sur 11.6.6, Connecting Carbon to 14 core iMac Pro, directly through ethernet port. nothing else on ethernet port.

dominicperry 06-20-2022 07:00 AM

OK, so as a check, if you disconnect the Carbon and use another audio interface (internal or external), do you still get the startup hangs?
If you do, I would look at trying to find out why PT isn't behaving well. If not, then that's a weird problem.

In fact, either way, you have plenty of power, no complications with your connection to Carbon and a supported configuration. I would raise a ticket with Avid.

Personally, I think Monterey works better than Big Sur, but my experience is limited to an M1 machine - (my Mac Pro 7.1 is still on Catalina and works fine with Carbon). But you may not want to upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey, especially as it won't necessarily help.

Your experience is not unique, but it's not clear to me why some people have problems and others do not.

Dominic