Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Quality Dropoff from Digi 003 to Mbox or Mbox 2 Mini? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=220874)

Steve7 05-01-2008 10:54 AM

Quality Dropoff from Digi 003 to Mbox or Mbox 2 Mini?

I am considering selling my 003 and getting an original Mbox or Mbox 2 Mini. I bought the 003 mostly for tracking drums and full bands but I have no need for that anymore, and I could use the extra money. Now all I need is something with at least 2 inputs. I use an external dual preamp, so what I'm mostly asking about is how the quality of converters differs from the 003 and the original Mbox or Mbox 2 mini.

Any help would be great.

Thanks lot.

Thedspeth 05-01-2008 11:46 AM

Re: Quality Dropoff from Digi 003 to Mbox or Mbox 2 Mini?

I was at a Pro Tools seminar last night and the pro tools rep was adamant that there was a large drop off in sound quality from the 003 to even the 002... In his mind there was no comparison...
I guess take that for what it's worth.

WinstonPaul 05-01-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

I was at a Pro Tools seminar last night and the pro tools rep was adamant that there was a large drop off in sound quality from the 003 to even the 002... In his mind there was no comparison...

Hey I love to hear that!!

Even digi003 is considering for home studios, do u think we can work like a pro with this interface?

Quote:

Even digi003 is considering for home studios, do u think we can work like a pro with this interface?

Quote:

albee1952 05-02-2008 07:22 AM

I guess he loves to hear that.....ANYWAY, I would not downgrade from a 003 to an Mbox and the real reason has nothing to do with converters. Once you go to a USB connection, you lose Low Latency Mode(a deal breaker for me) and you may lose the 64 buffer setting(not positive on that one). Also, probably a month after you sell the 003, you will get a call to record some friend's band with a drum kit and your Mbox will just laugh.....Just my 2 cents but I would keep the 003(but I have no problem with adding an Mbox for portable use).

Steve7 05-02-2008 02:10 PM

The 003 has to go, I'm just not going to need it anymore. If I for some reason need it again in acouple years then I'll buy another one. Don't get me wrong, I like it alot, it's just way more then I need now, I'm only recording vocals and stereo acoustic guitar tracks.

I was going to replace it with an Mbox 2 mini, but your right about USB. Now I'm thinking that I need to get away from ProTools in order to get a good quality small interface. I'm thinking about something like an Echo Audiofire4 or TC Electronic Konnekt 8.