Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Avid MC editor setting up for ProTools and Mix (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417324)

kylerboudreau 10-08-2021 11:19 AM

Avid MC editor setting up for ProTools and Mix

Hey everyone - I've been a long time member of the Avid Media Composer forum. Love audio editing, but have done it all in Avid MC, stereo only. Have taken ProTools lessons back in the film school days, and want to start kicking my indie projects out to a 5.1 mix using ProTools.

So with that, I do all of my work on a late model MacBook Pro with external storage, etc. Could I get your recommendations on what hardware is needed to do a 5.1 mix in ProTools?

I'm wiring my office now for the speakers, and just need to know the ideal way to do this on an indie film budget. Not junk - just not a studio setup.

Thanks for any advice!

albee1952 10-10-2021 03:33 PM

Re: Avid MC editor setting up for ProTools and Mix

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylerboudreau (Post 2615589)
Hey everyone - I've been a long time member of the Avid Media Composer forum. Love audio editing, but have done it all in Avid MC, stereo only. Have taken ProTools lessons back in the film school days, and want to start kicking my indie projects out to a 5.1 mix using ProTools.

So with that, I do all of my work on a late model MacBook Pro with external storage, etc. Could I get your recommendations on what hardware is needed to do a 5.1 mix in ProTools?

I'm wiring my office now for the speakers, and just need to know the ideal way to do this on an indie film budget. Not junk - just not a studio setup.

Thanks for any advice!

Here's the basic requirements:
1-Pro Tools Ultimate software
2-an interface with at least 6 outputs
3-speakers. On a tight budget, I would get 5 JBL LSR305 or 306 Mk II speakers and a sub. For the money, I think the Presonus T-10 beats the JBL sub(and everything else in that price bracket).
4-(optional) a surround-ready monitor controller:o

kylerboudreau 10-11-2021 05:20 AM

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

TVPostSound 10-12-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylerboudreau (Post 2615743)
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

An Apogee Quartet would fulfill the interface and monitor controller option.

Also compatible with MC.

thermisonic 10-13-2021 10:29 PM

Steinberg UR28m works well as a low budget 5.1 interface and very basic monitor controller too. Volume control for all speakers, mutes speakers in pairs.

kylerboudreau 10-14-2021 05:09 AM

Cool, thank you! So, basic question: the last time I did a 5.1 mix I had access to an actual, legit mixing room. So that huge mixing board is all I've ever used to do a surround mix.

In the world of indie film where I'm doing this without spending thousands upon thousands to setup a mixing room, what hardware board would let me map a smaller amount of tracks in ProTools? Or maybe a better question: how do indie sound designers do this? Just adjust everything within ProTools during the mix and only use hardware for basic speaker control?

trevora 12-09-2021 10:18 PM

We used this - https://www.renegadelabs.com/products/m3gxt.html - for monitoring 5.1 on Media Composer on last big sport job I did. Worked well - takes SDI from MC IO and has one volume knob but various configs. We used 5.1 / 2.0 folddown mainly (we are mostly just on-passing truck output).

Also maybe look at the upmixer plug-ins for MC before you go full bore mixing in ProTools? We had the linear accoustic one, but there's others. They can just excite your 2.0 music / effects out to 5.1 knowing it should give a transparent folddown to 2.0.