Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MBox Micro question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=257202)

DonaldM 10-19-2009 02:15 PM

MBox Micro question

At home I am running PT LE 8.1 MBox 2 Mini on Win XP Home Ed SP-2. I am wondering if I could install PT on my laptop (Also Win XP SP 2) and use the Mbox micro plug-in to do rough mixes when I'm on the road. Is it possible for me to load PT onto a second computer like this. Also, is it possible to get the LE Mbox micro hardware without having to re-purchase the software, which I already have? I looked for this option on the main Digi page, but can't tell if this is possible.

Tech wise, my laptop meets and/or exceeds the requirements for PT, so I'm confident PT will run, I'm just wondering what my options are for installing and getting the micro device hardware.

Thanks

LincolnT 10-19-2009 03:35 PM

Re: MBox Micro question

Yes, the MBox micro can be used to mix sessions on a portable laptop.
Of course, the Micro has no audio inputs, so you can't record new audio. It's just for mixing.

The software you have can be installed on two computers. Of course it will only work when the Digi hardware is plugged in.

They do not sell the hardware without the software. You could buy a MBox micro without software for cheaper on EBay.

You could sell the extra unused-unregistered software disks and activation code after you buy the MBox micro. As long as it is not registered it will not cause ownership confusion.

But technically, I'm sure there is fine print in the software agreement that nobody understands.

Edit: I believe the fine print says that it is ok to install one activation code on two computers (both your desktop and laptop). It will work on 1000 though. And also, the fine print may say that the software license is inseparable from the hardware. Others have said that you can sell an unregistered/unused activation code and disk.

DonaldM 10-19-2009 05:01 PM

Well, I want to be above board however I do this. I was hoping I could get the Micro hardware as a stand alone, since I already own the software. I thought it was the case I could load the software onto 2 machines with the one license.

And, I did know that the micro has no inputs. My intent is to use it to work on projects when I have to travel, which is frequently!

Appreciate the info!

sunburst79 10-19-2009 09:54 PM

Don the best thing to do is A) wait till e a PT upgrade comes out and purchase the Micro and then update your existing PT installs to the new version this lets you subtract the cost of a PT upgrade from the purchase price. or B) by one used.

DonaldM 10-20-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunburst79 (Post 1481422)
Don the best thing to do is A) wait till e a PT upgrade comes out and purchase the Micro and then update your existing PT installs to the new version this lets you subtract the cost of a PT upgrade from the purchase price. or B) by one used.

Okay, thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. I was hoping the micro hardware could be purchased separate....but alas, I guess not. Batteries not included either!

sunburst79 10-20-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 1481580)
Okay, thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. I was hoping the micro hardware could be purchased separate....but alas, I guess not. Batteries not included either!

No batteries needed! They truly sound nice!