Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   USB Microphone and other Audio devices not recognized (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=263203)

El Cuervo 01-04-2010 11:02 AM

USB Microphone and other Audio devices not recognized

I know I must be missing some fundamental thing here.

I have a USB Microphone which is set up properly as it works in 3 other DAWs perfectly (well, as perfectly as a USB microphone can work).

I can't seem to get it to be recognized in ProTools 8.0.1 (I am on win7).

I have tried asio4all as well - which doesn't seem to be recognized in ProTools either as I was trying to route sound through the native sound card on the machine.

Better docs on this whole external routing stuff would be great - as an aside. It seems like ProTools only wants to 'see' the MBox. None of these things show up in hardware/I-O/or anywhere in the setting preferences.:confused:

Thanks for any help...

mhelm01 01-04-2010 11:33 AM

Re: USB Microphone and other Audio devices not recognized

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cuervo (Post 1526280)
It seems like ProTools only wants to 'see' the MBox. None of these things show up in hardware/I-O/or anywhere in the setting preferences.:confused:

Correct

68topls 01-04-2010 11:42 AM

pro tools own't see anything out side of the interface, which in your case in the usb microphone. The mic needs to be plugged into the mbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cuervo (Post 1526280)
I know I must be missing some fundamental thing here.

I have a USB Microphone which is set up properly as it works in 3 other DAWs perfectly (well, as perfectly as a USB microphone can work).

I can't seem to get it to be recognized in ProTools 8.0.1 (I am on win7).

I have tried asio4all as well - which doesn't seem to be recognized in ProTools either as I was trying to route sound through the native sound card on the machine.

Better docs on this whole external routing stuff would be great - as an aside. It seems like ProTools only wants to 'see' the MBox. None of these things show up in hardware/I-O/or anywhere in the setting preferences.:confused:

Thanks for any help...

sunburst79 01-04-2010 01:27 PM

With PT from MAudio's Pro Tools Essential to a full blown HD rig all audio must pass in and out of the digi approved hardware interface.

El Cuervo 01-04-2010 03:33 PM

OK, Thanks everyone for answering.

This seems incredibly limiting and short sighted strategically. I totally get that I need to have the MBOX connected to the machine - but ignoring everything else is retarded - Given all the great hardware out there from 3rd parties.

I will be giving Cubase a try and probably returning ProTools. I would rather invest my energy in software that is open. Its not the USB Mic that worries me -as that was for quick stuff on the road - but all the other things I might want to use.

Sad

h

sw rec 01-05-2010 09:18 AM

Actually, a proprietary system such as this takes a lot of the guess-work out of setting up a stable running system. Pro Tools hardware and software are very carefully designed to work together. I've used other software that was just as expensive as a complete Pro Tools setup, but was TOTALLY on my own where hardware was concerned. I spent a LOT of money being a "configuration beta tester." I vote for "this is designed to work with this" any day. But that's just me.
And the XLR connector has been around for a LONG time.... :cool:

albee1952 01-05-2010 09:58 AM

Don't forget that Avid/Digi is also a hardware company so its a fairly sound business model. In any case, I hate USB mics as they are a "one trick pony" when you can buy a USB adapter to use any microphone(which makes the mic a lot more useful).

El Cuervo 01-05-2010 02:51 PM

Like I said - its not about this particular Microphone.

let me ask an alternate question then...

Can an M-Powered Piece of Hardware work with an LE System?

sw rec 01-05-2010 02:57 PM

M-powered has to have PT-M powered, LE hardware has to have LE hardware.

albee1952 01-05-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cuervo (Post 1527129)
Like I said - its not about this particular Microphone.

let me ask an alternate question then...

Can an M-Powered Piece of Hardware work with an LE System?

The answer is no.