Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Manually played MIDI Notes arrive earlier than played. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350427)

SmokinBaldMonkey 01-30-2014 12:36 AM

Manually played MIDI Notes arrive earlier than played.

I am pretty much ready to hurl this HDX system right out the window.

I'm running a 16 track 88.2 session with one virtual instrument (addictive drums). Buffers at 128 (lowest setting allowed by HDX engine). almost no plugins to speak of.

When I play MIDI drum notes from the keyboard (via the Digidesign MIDI IO) they SOUND fine while I am playing, but they are landing on the track about 120 ticks earlier than they should, universally. Then when I play back what I recorded, it sounds like a ****** retard just played the part. My timing is excellent on two instruments, it isn't ME. I have to play so outrageously behind the beat to get the notes to land where they should that it becomes nearly impossible to keep time.

But if I don't, they won't quantize properly because they are recording EARLY. Somebody has to be having this problem besides me. Damn this software.

This happens with every VI I have tried from boom to mini grand.

crizdee 01-30-2014 04:17 AM

Re: Manually played MIDI Notes arrive earlier than played.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinBaldMonkey (Post 2127367)

I'm running a 16 track 88.2 session with one virtual instrument (addictive drums). Buffers at 128 (lowest setting allowed by HDX engine). almost no plugins to speak of.

When I play MIDI drum notes from the keyboard (via the Digidesign MIDI IO) they SOUND fine while I am playing, but they are landing on the track about 120 ticks earlier than they should, universally. Then when I play back what I recorded, it sounds like a ****** retard just played the part. My timing is excellent on two instruments, it isn't ME. I have to play so outrageously behind the beat to get the notes to land where they should that it becomes nearly impossible to keep time.

But if I don't, they won't quantize properly because they are recording EARLY. Somebody has to be having this problem besides me. Damn this software.

Hi,

I don't have the answer, but have you tried different routing to to see if there's a difference. are you recording midi onto an instrument track? have you tried a dedicated midi track routed to an instrument track and how about having the VI on an audio track and using a midi track etc.

Chris

ChuckS 01-30-2014 05:26 AM

Maybe check/toggle the MIDI delay compensation options in Preferences . . .

Chris Pettifer 01-29-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinBaldMonkey (Post 2127367)

Hi there, I'm having the exact same problem now with PT 11. Did you solve it? It's so weird.
Regards, Chris

chickzen 10-06-2016 12:38 AM

Oooooh YES YES,I have same problem from protools7....... after record VI, I have to manually move the MIDI note.........

galgalon96 10-06-2018 08:48 AM

Hey guys,

Have the same problem in PT 2018

Any solution?

XJENSEN 10-15-2019 04:57 AM

For reference: This bug still seems to exist in 2019.6... :mad:

DetroitT 10-16-2019 06:47 AM

Hi all
Has anyone tried in PT’s preferences>midi tab enter in midi tick offset?
Plus or minus
OP said 120 ticks early so enter +120 ticks

T