Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack No Sound! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290009)

Ph.D 12-16-2010 08:38 PM

Eleven Rack No Sound!

Hi all,

I just bought the 11R from the U.S. (delivered to Australia) and have taken it out of the box, turned it on, plugged a guitar in and headphones in the socket and I get no sound whatsoever...turn it on and off...nothing. Sometimes there is a hissing sound that you get from electronical equipment, other times nothing at all, silence.

I haven't even bothered to try and connect with Protools yet as I want to try and sort this problem out first.

Is there a setting in the Eleven Rack I should be using when guitar in input (True Z) jack and headphones in??

I hear there is quite a few 11R unit problems...?

The lights inside of the unit seem to be the 'normal' 3 flashing lights (one green and two red)

The manual pretty much states, plug in and play?? I dont want to go down the route of connecting with protools until this is fixed.

I need to update the firmware from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 but surely this has no impact in the products standalone mode...in the sense that I am recieving no sound whatsoever...there seems to be no signal from the guitar fullstop, as the tuner is not recognising the guitar as well...i pluck a string and get no movement in the tuner...

Any help much appreciated.

Update:
I changed the clock source from 44.1 up to 96 and got a sound. I then moved it down to 88 and 48 and 44.1 and got a sound, and then it stopped when i changed the source again, and I got no sound at all from any of these clock sources after that. Really starting to think I have a dud unit...?

It has now just frozen. I move the knobs and I get nothing...I will now turn it off and go from there. Does anyone know the best way to get in touch with Avid to fix this problem?? Obtain a new product?

Pete

zedhed 12-16-2010 09:00 PM

Re: Eleven Rack No Sound!

Whilst I've had no issues with my 11R I notice you are not the first to experience this problem as it has been raised in another post. You may want to read it.

Sorry I'm of no help, but the folks on this forum are extremely helpful so I'm sure it'll et sorted.

In the meantime you may want to crank PT up anyway just so you can have a play. I'm sure it won't make the problem any worse, perhaps just soothe your soul in the meantime :D

Ph.D 12-16-2010 09:30 PM

Zedhed, yeah i wont even try and connect to PT until I get my head around this unit in standalone : ) Cheers

Ok, I turned the unit off and went back to the clock source settings, and it seems to work on 48khz only. If i move it to the other settings, all i get is a pop or a click and then nothing...and on occasion when i return to the 48 setting it wont work until i move the knob to another setting and then return to 48, and then the sound is back again.

Once the sound is there and i turn the unit off and on again, the sound is there again as it was before turned off....very weird! The tuner works too now.

Any other 11R users out there experience the same type of problems??

filosofem 12-16-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph.D (Post 1722444)
Any other 11R users out there experience the same type of problems??

Yep, you need to contact Avid Audio.

Chris Townsend 12-16-2010 11:44 PM

Hi Pete,

Bummer. It definitely sounds like your Eleven Rack has a bad oscillator clock, which we've seen on some other units. I'm sorry to say that you'll need to get it repaired or replaced.

I think your best option is to call the Avid Customer Support number in your area. Or I can send you their email address if you want.

blewis 12-17-2010 05:45 AM

Avid, you guys are getting far too many escape failures from your production lines. Shouldn't a production test verifying oscillator operation already have made it to your product screens at some point in assembly?

End users should not be getting DOA hardware.

Of course, "far too many" is a reflection of the posting ratio on this forum - where people likely come to report problems. Overall maybe you're fine, but people getting DOA hardware isn't cool.

It's just off putting that we're seeing this come up so often.

blewis 12-17-2010 05:46 AM

Timely update from Chris in another thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=273395&page=7

gclef101 12-18-2010 06:48 PM

I have the same problem where I hear no sound. I plug in my headphones and I hear a high pitched sine wave and a hiss coming out of the left headphone. I believe it is a defective unit because I talked to the sales person who sold it to me and we trouble shoot it and still no sound.

buska100 04-24-2011 08:05 AM

I have had my Elevenrack for 3 weeks.It worked fine the first week or so.I have been using it stand alone straight into my guitar amp and at times I have just used headphones.The first sign of a problem was using the preset 'Cent Sack' through my headphones,hitting a power chord it would cut out repeatedly and consistantly,strangely only on this 'cent sack' setting.The next time I used it I couldn't get a sound out of it except for an unwanted occasional crackle and pop.I googled the problem and found that I was not alone and found that it would now only work if I changed the internal clock setting to 48khz.
I have taken it back to be looked at,because of the easter public holidays it can't be checked out until WednesdayI would hope that it will be replaced,but time will tell.

Benoni 04-24-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buska100 (Post 1786320)
I have had my Elevenrack for 3 weeks.It worked fine the first week or so.I have been using it stand alone straight into my guitar amp and at times I have just used headphones.The first sign of a problem was using the preset 'Cent Sack' through my headphones,hitting a power chord it would cut out repeatedly and consistantly,strangely only on this 'cent sack' setting.The next time I used it I couldn't get a sound out of it except for an unwanted occasional crackle and pop.I googled the problem and found that I was not alone and found that it would now only work if I changed the internal clock setting to 48khz.
I have taken it back to be looked at,because of the easter public holidays it can't be checked out until WednesdayI would hope that it will be replaced,but time will tell.

It should be replaced no problem. Good luck man. :cool: