Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Intel Quad Xeons and LE? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=203937)

Dusan 08-22-2007 08:38 AM

Intel Quad Xeons and LE?

Has anybody been successfull in running Protools LE with Intel Quad Xeons on Windows?

sunburst79 08-22-2007 11:07 AM

Re: Intel Quad Xeons and LE?

Core 2 Quads are running Windows fine and the Macpros are running fine under Boot Camp.

Why on earth would you want to build a Xeon based machine with slow expensive registered RAM when a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Quad will net you almost 300 Dverbs

For less than a grand.....

Shan 08-22-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Has anybody been successfull in running Protools LE with Intel Quad Xeons on Windows?

Not recommended at this point in time unless you have money to burn.

The Sunburst Quad is the best price/performance rig we have and highly recommended.

Shane

Dusan 08-22-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Core 2 Quads are running Windows fine and the Macpros are running fine under Boot Camp.

Why on earth would you want to build a Xeon based machine ...

Don't want to build anything - just have one that somebody ordered and than canceled the order, so I got it for less than half price.

But I can not make ProTools LE run on it for love or money. Keeps giving me 6086 error about operating system holding interupts for too long - and Digidesign do not reply to questions since they do not support quad core processors.

So I thought I might ask if anybody has it working.

And before you ask, I tried all the recommended stuff, switching off everything except the keyboard and the mouse... It is a Dell 690 - (officially tested with dual core processors).

I still have to try to install Mac OS X on it... and than I'm done.

sunburst79 08-22-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

I still have to try to install Mac OS X on it... and than I'm done.

Thats been done and it might be your best bet. search for posts by "Diginerd"

Have you disabled EIST (Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology) in BIOS? along with TM (Throttle Management)? and C1E (Advanced Halt State)? all three of those have been known to throw 6086 errors.

Have you installed a known working approved FW card?

You said you had followed the optimizations for PT so I assume the Power setting is set to "Always On"

I realize its not approved for Le but It should work.

Its approved for HD I believe.

Search "Diginerd" he had a Dual Xeon rig Dual booting OSX and XP Pro.

bladesg 08-22-2007 07:19 PM

There should be absolutely nothing that stops a LGA775 Quad Xeon from working with PT LE, they're the same as a Core 2 Quad with better thermal specs. They can be run on P35 and 965/975 boards, but as stated earlier.... Why?

And the LGA775 version of the Quad Xeon X32X0 (1 CPU per mobo) doesn't need registered RAM either AFAIK.

sunburst79 08-23-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

There should be absolutely nothing that stops a LGA775 Quad Xeon from working with PT LE, they're the same as a Core 2 Quad with better thermal specs. They can be run on P35 and 965/975 boards, but as stated earlier.... Why?

And the LGA775 version of the Quad Xeon X32X0 (1 CPU per mobo) doesn't need registered RAM either AFAIK.

He's running a Dell 690, its a Dual Processer version, Basicaly its a MacPro.

I beleive your corect about the LGA 775 Xeons and memory although I believe that would also depend on the Chipset. I can't see any point in a LGA 775 Xeon ecexpt for a small server

bladesg 08-23-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He's running a Dell 690, its a Dual Processer version, Basicaly its a MacPro.

I beleive your corect about the LGA 775 Xeons and memory although I believe that would also depend on the Chipset. I can't see any point in a LGA 775 Xeon ecexpt for a small server

Didin't see the Dell 690 part.

Quad Xeon LGA775'c will run on P35, 965P and 975X chipsets without registered ram.

I agree, what's the point except the thermal spec....