Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   horrible latency with outboard reverb effect... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=59396)

MarkGenero 06-02-2001 05:06 AM

horrible latency with outboard reverb effect...

I got a reply from digi support about how to set up my PCM 91 reverb as an outboard effect using the spdif in/out's. It works, but the problem is that there is horrible latency even when set to 128 samples. It's so bad it's basically unusable. Anyone tell me if this is as good as it gets or is there another way to set up my PCM 91 as an outboard effect to avoid the latency.

thanks for any help,

Mark

Here's the setup straight from digi support:

Hardware connections:
-connect RCA SPDIF output of 001 to spdif input of PCM91.
-connect RCA spdif output of PCM 91 to spdif input of 001.

Software setting:
-Launch Pro Tools (double click on its icon and not by double clicking on a session)
-Open the Setups>Playback Engine>Other Options window. Select "ADAT" from the Optical format menu and DISABLE S/PDIF Mirroring.
-Open the Setups>Hardware window and set the Sync Mode field to "Internal"
-Open the Setups>I/O Setups window, click the "Inserts" tab, click "Default" and then click "OK."
-Launch the session.

-Set the PCM91 to External sync.
-Set the Wet/Dry mix of the external unit to 100% wet.

-Set the outputs of your Vocal Tracks (ie the dry signal)to "Out 1-2" from the interface submenu.
-Create a Send on each of the Vocal Tracks and output to an unused bus (say, bus 1-2) for all vocal tracks
-Create a Stereo Aux Input and set its input to the output bus of the vocal tracks (in my example, that would be bus 1-2)
-Set the Aux track's Output to "out 1-2" from the interface submenu
-Raise the Fader of the Aux Track
-From the Inserts menu on the Aux Track, select "SPDIF L-R (Stereo)" from the I/O submenu.
-While playing the session, raise the faders on the Sends from each of the Vocal Tracks to route audio to the PCM91.

da BaSsTaRd! 06-02-2001 05:39 AM

Re: horrible latency with outboard reverb effect...

you may have some "pre delay" affected on the reverb. i don't know about the PCM91, but dverb has a pre delay option that you may be mistaking for latency. there shouldn't be any latency at all if you're mixing.

also, another way to set up the loop would be to output your vox to 1/2 and create a send to s/pdif out. then create a stereo aux in and set the input as s/pdif in.

be sure to check the "pre" button on the send so you can mix each track individually with the reverb.

tld 06-02-2001 05:52 AM

Ditto...I would make sure you don't have a high pre-delay setting on the verb or something. I would thing that the only latency in that setup should be the affect of the mixer and busses, which should be only a few samples and would completely unnoticable.

Tom

mfym 06-02-2001 09:31 AM

I had the same problem after borrowing an effects unit, and after posting here, I was only able to find two solutions.

1.) Record the reverb as an audio track and move it into the correct time, or

2.) Use an outboard mixer.

Basically there's nothing you can do about the latency introduced by the reverb unit. Latency in such a set up without a mixer is just a fact of life.

gracepoint 06-02-2001 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mfym:
I had the same problem after borrowing an effects unit, and after posting here, I was only able to find two solutions.

1.) Record the reverb as an audio track and move it into the correct time, or

2.) Use an outboard mixer.

Basically there's nothing you can do about the latency introduced by the reverb unit. Latency in such a set up without a mixer is just a fact of life.

I disagree. I had bad latency at first but after reading the tips from da BaSsTaRd and tld to turn off the pre-delay on the reverb I was able to eliminate any noticeable latency and the reverb from my Lexicon MPX-1 sounds better than Dverb. Thanks for the help guys.