Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   HEAT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=355407)

francois_harel 06-11-2014 05:49 PM

HEAT

Can I use HEAT if I don't have any Avid hardware.
I only use PT HD11 with PrismAudio USB external audio interface.
Thanks...

CygnusX-1Bk2 06-11-2014 06:34 PM

Re: HEAT

Can only be used with HDX systems. I have HDN with a 16x16 and own Heat but can't use it.

Heat was developed with the help of Dave Hill at Cranesong who makes Phoenix which is also a nice saturation plug.

TOM@METRO 06-12-2014 07:59 AM

Right, without TDM or HDX hardware, HEAT will not be available.

Carl Lie 06-14-2014 09:53 AM

There are plugs available that can get you the distortion HEAT provides.

C

WernerF 06-21-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Lie (Post 2163918)
There are plugs available that can get you the distortion HEAT provides.

C

Granted there are other plugins that offer harmonic distortion for your mixer the fact is that they are all different from each other. The Slate stuff is great but it is far more subtle than HEAT and the stereo field is not affected in the same way that it is with HEAT. It's a matter of personal preference of course as to which one you may prefer but the point is that there is no retrofit replacement for HEAT, if that is what one needs.

RaySoul 06-22-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 2165821)
Granted there are other plugins that offer harmonic distortion for your mixer the fact is that they are all different from each other. The Slate surf is great but it is far more subtle than HEAT and the stereo field is not affected in the same way that it is with HEAT. It's a matter of personal preference of course as to which one you may prefer but the point is that there is no retrofit replacement for HEAT, if that is what one needs.

If you haven't already, try Digi Reel Tape Saturation. I use it regularly in my workflow. It's really great. Also, you probably know that Phoenix, made by Dave Hill as well(as HEAT), is very good and available in native format...

JFreak 06-22-2014 08:50 AM

I think it's a licensing agreement, because HEAT surely can be used natively (offline bounce).

Just like Sonnox had an agreement that GML emulation can only be used with DSP-based systems, but it has changed because currently as PT11 allows native processing w/offline also Sonnox is allowing native customer using that GML magic if you only have the license on your iLok.

I wish Avid would follow the suit.

Drew Mazurek 06-22-2014 08:53 AM

I used to use HEAT when it first came out. it def has initial impact (as designed-boost AVG amplitude and gives the illusion of "better") but I found that the honeymoon ended soon after.

I eventually concluded that it was a bit of a global transient crusher and felt I could get more targeted results using a mix of other tools.

BTW, HEAT is a compromised algorithm (has to be to fit into an expanding PT Mixer) that was finalized in 2006 and based on code from Cranesong's 2003 Phoenix plug. So unless you think there's been no improvements in DSP coding/modeling in the last 8 years, one could argue that HEAT is "dated" so to speak.

Eric Lambert 06-22-2014 09:16 AM

If you're specifically asking about Heat that's one thing but if you're asking about a great option for harmonic distortion then the thread could gladly down that route.

The harm. distortion market is flooded -- to our benefit, because there are now so many great options to choose from. I'd even say that Heat is one of my least favorite among those I've tried which by now is over 10 different plugins.

roberts 06-22-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2165933)
I used to use HEAT when it first came out. it def has initial impact (as designed-boost AVG amplitude and gives the illusion of "better") but I found that the honeymoon ended soon after.

I eventually concluded that it was a bit of a global transient crusher and felt I could get more targeted results using a mix of other tools.

BTW, HEAT is a compromised algorithm (has to be to fit into an expanding PT Mixer) that was finalized in 2006 and based on code from Cranesong's 2003 Phoenix plug. So unless you think there's been no improvements in DSP coding/modeling in the last 8 years, one could argue that HEAT is "dated" so to speak.

Yes I would say tape saturation sounds dated.
So with your Logic Phoenix II is dated as well - EXACT same alogo's ported to AAX.