Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Upgrade help from Digi Design 002. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416183)

Nige78 07-13-2021 08:16 AM

Upgrade help from Digi Design 002.

I'm currently running Pro Tools 8 LE on Windows 7 with a DigiDesign 002 interface.

Much as I love it, and it works for my needs it is getting slower and slower and clearly the time has come for me to upgrade. I've started researching the latest hardware and I'm overwhelmed tbf.

Please can someone recommend a simple system that will meet my basic requirements. I plan to get a new PC but which version of Pro Tools and which DAW?

I've never used more than 8 inputs at once for recording so I'm happy to stick with that limit, and I only really records guitars, bass, drums, keyboard and vocals. I've never used Midi but would like to learn at some point possibly.

Any help greatly appreciated. Not sure if it makes any difference but I'm in the UK.

albee1952 07-13-2021 09:35 AM

Re: Upgrade help from Digi Design 002.

#1-don't buy any PC from any place that doesn't build "DAW-specific" machines. Pro-tools-pc.com is one vendor that specializes in PT-compatible computers.(pretty sure you have some other options in the UK, too)
#2-Any new PC will come with Windows 10, so you will need to go with the current version of PT(or very recent like PT12 and newer).
#3-Since version 9 of Pro Tools, almost any interface will work, but 3rd party will almost always include some kind of routing/monitoring software. This will probably be a PITA to configure, but once its done, you should not have to revisit again(but I suggest saving screen captures of the proper settings)
#4-If you can afford the option of Thunderbolt on your new PC, get it. It gives you more options for interfaces and its much faster than USB(for lower latency while recording).
#5-options for 8 inputs are plenty. Focusrite and Presonus are plenty good. RME are better(and they seem to have the best drivers)
#6-Pro Tools or other? If you have old sessions you want to remix, then it makes sense to stick with Pro Tools. If you don't need to revisit old projects, Cubase and Studio One are worth a look, as is Reaper. If you don't mind the learning curve, any modern DAW is very capable. I stay with PT because I like the way it works, but you don't have to(unless you collaborate with other Pro Tools users a lot):-)

EGS 07-13-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige78 (Post 2607641)
...recommend a simple system that will meet my basic requirements. I plan to get a new PC but which version of Pro Tools...

Desktop or laptop? Budget? Windows 10, latest version of Pro Tools, do all AVID recommended system optimizations.

Nige78 07-13-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2607659)
Desktop or laptop? Budget? Windows 10, latest version of Pro Tools, do all AVID recommended system optimizations.

Due to my relative minimal requirements I'm aiming at the budget end of things, but definitely planing on a desktop and to stick with PT.

EGS 07-13-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige78 (Post 2607666)
Due to my relative minimal requirements I'm aiming at the budget end of things, but definitely planing on a desktop and to stick with PT.

16GB RAM min. Intel i7 10th gen or better. (Many use Ryzen, but I'm not knowledgeable on the Ryzen line.) More RAM and 11th gen i7 (or i9) if budget allows.

Take boot drive images as you go along - (Macrium Reflect free version works, or similar). Uninstall all bloatware. Go through all Windows settings (and basically turn all off). There's lots of guides and YouTube videos to help with bloatware & Win setup. Kill all unnecessary startup items. All AVID recommended optimizations. All Windows 10 updates. Latest versions of Pro Tools, plugs, iLok, & audio I/O drivers. Carefully do all these setup steps once, and you should be good to go.

This one's pretty cheap:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desk...xd8940msreqwoh

Nige78 07-14-2021 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2607670)
16GB RAM min. Intel i7 10th gen or better. (Many use Ryzen, but I'm not knowledgeable on the Ryzen line.) More RAM and 11th gen i7 (or i9) if budget allows.

Take boot drive images as you go along - (Macrium Reflect free version works, or similar). Uninstall all bloatware. Go through all Windows settings (and basically turn all off). There's lots of guides and YouTube videos to help with bloatware & Win setup. Kill all unnecessary startup items. All AVID recommended optimizations. All Windows 10 updates. Latest versions of Pro Tools, plugs, iLok, & audio I/O drivers. Carefully do all these setup steps once, and you should be good to go.

This one's pretty cheap:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desk...xd8940msreqwoh

Thanks I will have a look at something like that, although tbh it was more the non-PC hardware side of things I really need help with. Basically a recommendation for a small mixing desk with 8 inputs?

EGS 07-14-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige78 (Post 2607747)
... a recommendation for a small mixing desk with 8 inputs?

Analog mixer? Audio interface? Control surface?

albee1952 07-14-2021 02:25 PM

Skip a mixer. Get a decent interface.

The Weed 07-14-2021 04:38 PM

Personally, RME with their TotalMix and ARC USB Controller.

Nige78 07-15-2021 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2607773)
Analog mixer? Audio interface? Control surface?

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2607797)
Skip a mixer. Get a decent interface.

I'm shamed to say that I don't actually know the difference.

What would my current Digi Design 002 count as?