Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OT: Bars on a sequencers vs. Bars for a writer (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=53494)

DEVIZE 03-31-2003 10:30 AM

OT: Bars on a sequencers vs. Bars for a writer

Hello DUC,

This is thread is mainly to clarify the difference between a lyricist 'bar' (some may call it 'line') versus bars on a sequencers (i.e. PT or MPC sequencers).

My questions...

Are bars the same for lyricist and producers?

Are 'bars' on PT or an Akai MPC equal to 'bars or lines' for a writer?

example.... a 16 bar on PT or the MPC is equlivilent to ___ bars or lines written on paper.

I don't know if this may apply to all but certainly for the dudes that record or produce music for Hip Hop or R&B.

All comments are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

dkrz 03-31-2003 10:59 AM

Re: OT: Bars on a sequencers vs. Bars for a writer

A "bar" is a universal "measure", dependent only upon it's "time signature" and "bpm".

So, if I understand your question;
1 measure (bar) at 4/4 time at (x)bpm = 1 measure (bar) at 4/4 time at (x)bpm - Either on paper, a sequencer or any other musical notation form.

dk

DEVIZE 03-31-2003 11:40 AM

Yes, a bar depends on the BPM. I realize that a 16 bar is a 16 bar but to a lyricist or a writer that seems to not be the case. Maybe the writer doesn't know what a 16 bar really is. I'm trying to give them a good answer to bars are bars with the exception of the tempo.

I want to find out if there is a writers bar and a music theory bar. Which I know a bar is a bar no matter. It's all about the tempo and the delivery. But, this has seemed to confuse me while trying to provide a bounced format for an artist to write to.

Thanks again....anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

Philthy 04-01-2003 12:24 AM

I gotta tell you, I studied theory in depth for a number of years, and I'm confused as to what you mean by a "16 bar." Do you mean 16 measures? Or a measure divided into 16th notes?

In common usage, a bar is a measure is a bar. As long as the writer understands what time signature and tempo you're using, you should be able to understand one another. In 4/4 time, one bar equals four quarter notes or 8 eighth notes or 16 16th notes.

DEVIZE 04-01-2003 12:35 AM

yes...16 measures or 16 bars at 4/4 at various tempos...not notes. Seems like everyone is confused...LOL. I know what a 16 bar (measure) is a 16 bar(period)

Needless to say....

This writer or lyricist has a bad interpretation and concept of a 16 bar written or played. Thanks guys for the replies.

I can really back the theory of a 16 bar implemented in a song.