Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Is there a way around this? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410313)

SomeOtherGuy 05-20-2020 11:16 AM

Is there a way around this?

You're working on bar #350 and you decide to double-click on a MIDI track to do some editing. As soon as you do that, the MIDI Editor opens up and bang, you're back at Bar 1. And you have to scroll forward to bar #350. Why won't the MIDI Editor open to where the cursor was?

I hope this is somehow my fault.

john1192 05-20-2020 01:44 PM

Re: Is there a way around this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy (Post 2566493)
You're working on bar #350 and you decide to double-click on a MIDI track to do some editing. As soon as you do that, the MIDI Editor opens up and bang, you're back at Bar 1. And you have to scroll forward to bar #350. Why won't the MIDI Editor open to where the cursor was?

I hope this is somehow my fault.

it is working fine here .... PT version 19.6.0.370

can you give us any more info as to whether you have Custom Prefences or use the pretty much Default's ??

any info is helpful thank you

SomeOtherGuy 05-20-2020 01:50 PM

Hmmm...I have custom prefs but I don't see a pref for that. Thanks.

john1192 05-20-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy (Post 2566508)
Hmmm...I have custom prefs but I don't see a pref for that. Thanks.

what other settings do you have that might be causing this .. ???

i assume this happens in a blank session ???

and that you have restarted ... i hate to ask you to toss your or move pref's ..

i looked at Pref's as well and could not find anything .. i tried turning on and off every combination i tools and settings i could find .. nothing i do changes from when i double clickthe midi editor opens and is showing my Highlighted Midi Clip at the bar 350 (i setup as you did) ..

albee1952 05-20-2020 02:59 PM

If your midi editing needs are simple, you can zoom in on the instrument/midi track and do a lot of editing without ever opening the midi editor:o

SomeOtherGuy 05-20-2020 03:00 PM

Here's another to look at this issue:

Say the MIDI clip starts at bar 2, but the clip is 50 bars long. Your cursor in the Edit Window is at bar 45 and you want to edit something there. When you open up that MIDI clip, it'll take you back to the first bar of that clip, and not stay at bar 45.

john1192 05-20-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy (Post 2566513)
Here's another to look at this issue:

Say the MIDI clip starts at bar 2, but the clip is 50 bars long. Your cursor in the Edit Window is at bar 45 and you want to edit something there. When you open up that MIDI clip, it'll take you back to the first bar of that clip, and not stay at bar 45.

yes, i can replicate this ... in Clips View ... EDIT: hold COntrol and it will work like Notes View

in Notes View in Edit Window, if you use Control +/= key command .. your cursor wll stay where you want it in the Midi Editor ..

ADD: this does not work in Double Click on Midi Clip .. YET ... Albee, do you know this one ???

SomeOtherGuy 05-20-2020 03:35 PM

That's why this forum is so great!

THANK YOU! I never knew about Control +/= key command.

This is so helpful...