Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Structure, question about loading in your own samples (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=256925)

WB1984 10-15-2009 08:48 AM

Structure, question about loading in your own samples

Hello. I'm new to the forum and would like to thank everyone in advance for your time and knowledge.

I'm using Structure LE on PT 7.4.

I have a few of the goldbaby drum libraries and I load the samples through the browser with ease.

My problem is, when I hit (say an 808 kick with a long sustain), it only plays the wav file for the duration of the time I hold onto the midi note on my padkontrol.

Generally, this results in annoying MIDI edits later as well as a performance that may or may not be changed because I can't hear the sample ring out.

My question is: is it possible to just hit the the pad and have the note sustain without having to physically hold my finger down for the length of the wav file (and as you guys know, an 808 kick can be looong). I know this is how it works in BFD as well as the stock Structure sounds.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

William

filosofem 10-15-2009 07:27 PM

Re: Structure, question about loading in your own samples

Sample playback is determined by note duration.

filosofem

WB1984 10-15-2009 07:34 PM

Thanks for your response.

Maybe I should look into GURU or some sort of drum editor. Structure will still be useful, but it's just not cutting it for drums for the above reason.

flommer 10-15-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WB1984 (Post 1478906)
Hello. I'm new to the forum and would like to thank everyone in advance for your time and knowledge.

I'm using Structure LE on PT 7.4.

I have a few of the goldbaby drum libraries and I load the samples through the browser with ease.

My problem is, when I hit (say an 808 kick with a long sustain), it only plays the wav file for the duration of the time I hold onto the midi note on my padkontrol.

Generally, this results in annoying MIDI edits later as well as a performance that may or may not be changed because I can't hear the sample ring out.

My question is: is it possible to just hit the the pad and have the note sustain without having to physically hold my finger down for the length of the wav file (and as you guys know, an 808 kick can be looong). I know this is how it works in BFD as well as the stock Structure sounds.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

William

In structure LE, highlight the part that contains the notes you want to sustain, then click on "Part Edit 2". Then in the amplifier AHDSR envelope, push the release all the way up..

filosofem 10-15-2009 08:45 PM

Pushing the AMP ENV Release out is okay but what happens if there is a synth pad or loop that needs sustaining?

filosofem

flommer 10-15-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1479357)
Pushing the AMP ENV Release out is okay but what happens if there is a synth pad or loop that needs sustaining?

filosofem

The OP is talking about drums. It would be a shame to have to spend more money when Structure LE will do what is needed, at the very least for drums..

filosofem 10-15-2009 09:10 PM

The point is Structure family does not support Latch mode. ;)

filosofem

RussUK 10-15-2009 11:41 PM

Push the amp env out, it's fine.

Not sure what you mean by latch mode filo, I know what it is, but why you think it would be useful?

filosofem 10-16-2009 12:15 AM

Transfuser 'One-Shot' play mode comes to mind Russ. Personally though I'm in two minds about a one-shot play mode or latch mode regarding Structure. On the one hand (no pun intended) a single strike of a key or keys should sustain the sample length or loop in playback whilst on thee other the current workflow is gate length. IMO maybe a check preference.

It's a request made on the DUC by many users. ;)

filosofem

RussUK 10-16-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1479450)
Transfuser 'One-Shot' play mode comes to mind Russ. Personally though I'm in two minds about a one-shot play mode or latch mode regarding Structure. On the one hand (no pun intended) a single strike of a key or keys should sustain the sample length or loop in playback whilst on thee other the current workflow is gate length. IMO maybe a check preference.

It's a request made on the DUC by many users. ;)

filosofem

Agreed.