Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   copy/paste in grid mode doesn`t work correctly (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=320230)

rapsodie 03-28-2012 03:29 AM

copy/paste in grid mode doesn`t work correctly

Hi everybody,

when I copy an area in grid mode (absolut grid) and paste it to another place in my session, ProTools sometimes DOESN´T paste it on the right place - it is delayed some samples!

I can`t find any rule, this issue happens accidentaly. But if you paste your copied audio over existing regions, it seems to happen quite often.

Has anyone else noticed this, too?

Regards,

rapsodie

P.S.: I`m working with PT HD 8.01cs2, MacPro 8-core early 2008, MAC OS X 10.5.8

Stig Eliassen 03-28-2012 03:44 AM

Re: copy/paste in grid mode doesn`t work correctly

Only thing I can think of is sample rounding problems. Do you make the selection with the Selector? That's supposedly the most accurate way to do it. The tempo also plays a role in this. 120 BPM is one mathematically easy tempo to deal with, and sample rounding shouldn't occur. I can't remember the details - check the manual.

Anyway, I use the Grabber in Relative grid mode to copy/paste. It could be that I too have sample rounding "problems", but if I can't hear it, it's all good.

RTFM 03-28-2012 06:00 PM

This old chestnut. Make sure your track is in Ticks mode.

rapsodie 03-29-2012 04:43 AM

Thanks for your reply!

My tracks were in ticks mode. I tried to use the relative grid mode, but the issue happened, too.

Sometimes, I have to copy and paste an area for about 5 - 10 times until it`s on the correct place.

Normally, you can`t "hear" it - but if you control your track with the original (eq phase invert-test), you will!

It`s really angry!

Stig Eliassen 03-29-2012 05:33 AM

How did you copy/paste in relative grid mode? I use a grid resolution of 1 bar, and then I Option+Click'n'drag the region(s) to their paste destination.

phatbeatstudio 03-29-2012 01:58 PM

I have been learning and trying this ALOT lately .. Make sure **ALL** your grid values are the same. even if they are are not if you cut the unwanted clean .then paste ,if it does go where it should snap to previous or even better grabber tool in grid mode drag and you got it. Not what it is supposed to do ,but it works you probably knew that though :-)

digidesigner 03-29-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsodie (Post 1916577)
Hi everybody,

when I copy an area in grid mode (absolut grid) and paste it to another place in my session, ProTools sometimes DOESN´T paste it on the right place - it is delayed some samples!

I can`t find any rule, this issue happens accidentaly. But if you paste your copied audio over existing regions, it seems to happen quite often.

Has anyone else noticed this, too?

Regards,

rapsodie

P.S.: I`m working with PT HD 8.01cs2, MacPro 8-core early 2008, MAC OS X 10.5.8

Absolutely! Drives me nuts too. If you make beats based music and need to loop a lot, use loop tool, that works. Just copying a bar million times will always result in empty samples here and there.

Stig Eliassen 03-30-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio (Post 1917067)
I have been learning and trying this ALOT lately .. Make sure **ALL** your grid values are the same. even if they are are not if you cut the unwanted clean .then paste ,if it does go where it should snap to previous or even better grabber tool in grid mode drag and you got it. Not what it is supposed to do ,but it works you probably knew that though :-)

What do you mean? What works?

WernerF 03-30-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PT Lover (Post 1917289)
What do you mean? What works?

No offense meant but, sometimes it's a little tough to understand old Phatbeat's use of the language and it's accompanying grammar and punctuation.

phatbeatstudio 03-31-2012 11:07 AM

Those were instructions on how to get the paste lined up correctly

Ya sorry Im a newbie Protooler but if you can't understand what I meant by that your either dumb or just being a snob. Might not have been the correct PROTOOLS language but it works. Just got my first computer 18 months ago so give me a break . If it didn't help sorry but at least I tried. Thanks for taking the time to tell me I suck but not the time to correct me. constructive criticism is worth nothing if you don't explain how it should be done .. U suck too, wat I mean by that :-) Have a nice day!