Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   No Ethernet port left for the Euphonix mix :( (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=269670)

gsilbers 03-17-2010 09:03 PM

No Ethernet port left for the Euphonix mix :(

i have the only ethernet port of my G52x2.5 used for the network/internet and the card slots (for ethernet card) used for PThd... how do i connect an euphonix mix board? (i cant sacrifice the PT nor the network. )

diamondschwin 03-17-2010 09:51 PM

Re: No Ethernet port left for the Euphonix mix :(

an ethernet switch

one thatll do just fine literally is like 10 to 15 bucks investment.

crizdee 03-18-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsilbers (Post 1574389)
i have the only ethernet port of my G52x2.5 used for the network/internet and the card slots (for ethernet card) used for PThd... how do i connect an euphonix mix board? (i cant sacrifice the PT nor the network. )

get an airport extreme card for the net!!

Ethernet switches are often a nightmare. tried using one with my control 24 on my old G5 and it would slow things down considerably.

Chris

jeremyroberts 03-18-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 1574465)
get an airport extreme card for the net!!

Ethernet switches are often a nightmare

Chris,

That's illogical. If the switch works and the wiring is done correctly, there should be zero issues.

I own a Netgear 8-port gigabit switch and it is just fine. You can get these now for less than US$70.

gsilbers 03-18-2010 12:20 PM

hmmm

didnt about the switch, ill check em out.

i cant use the airport for two reasons but mainly its because the signal just doesn't get there. but it does for other pcs.

how about ethernet to usb adapters? that could work right?

John_Toolbox 03-18-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyroberts (Post 1574533)
Chris,

That's illogical. If the switch works and the wiring is done correctly, there should be zero issues.

I own a Netgear 8-port gigabit switch and it is just fine. You can get these now for less than US$70.

+1 Ethernet switches are cake to wire and the $50 one I've been using for the last few years has never given me a single problem. I'm constantly using it to stream audio between my main DAW and my slave PC's.

Stylin' Audio 03-18-2010 06:55 PM

+2 Threw a $30 Linksys switch in the rack 4 years ago and haven't thought about it since! No setup other than plugging everything into it.

TimNielsen 03-18-2010 07:14 PM

I have a MaxPower USB 802.11N adaptor, was about $50, and used it on a friend's iMac because the internal one didn't quite have the 'reach'. So it might work, they're stronger than the airport cards, probably because they're outside the case.

You can get them from www.macsales.com for sure. The only thing is that since it isn't seen as an airport, you have to use it's own little software app to connect. Not an issue at all if you're setting up a network and it won't change, just set it to connect at login. But not quite as elegant as an internal airport card.

Also, you can get an external airport antenna that will connect to the Mac to boost it's range. I had one for my G5 and it helped quite a bit, again, all it really did was put the antenna outside the case.

Good old Apple, go figure. On my 8-Core, the bluetooth isn't even strong enough to run a Magic Mouse, because the BlueTooth antenna is INSIDE the case, and it can't even get the 4 feet needed to run the mouse reliably.

Sometimes I just can't stand Apple's dumb decisions.

But a USB adaptor might solve your problems just fine.