Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Have you found a useful VI parameter controller? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416147)

[email protected] 07-09-2021 04:50 AM

Have you found a useful VI parameter controller?

i'm looking for something to control virtual synths etc. Not to play notes, but to tweak parameters using knobs instead of a mouse. One that would map to falcon or xpand or other third party synths. Something that would enable me to approach them more as the analog devices they model. Has anyone found a reasonble solution.?

Stephen Bond 07-09-2021 05:27 AM

Re: Have you found a useful VI parameter controller?

Anything controller with at least 8 controller knobs or faders is a good start. It's pretty to easily assign them these days without looking up MIDI CC numbers and such.

Many plugins have a requisite 8 "quick" knobs which will control the main or important parameters in the plugin synth, sampler etc.

Certainly more fun than mousing around.

Stephen

briaboy 07-09-2021 07:52 AM

StudioLogic ML Mixface is pretty good.

albee1952 07-09-2021 09:24 AM

If you have a midi controller with some knobs and sliders, open your VI plugin and right-click on a parameter. If you see an option named "Midi Learn", move a knob or slider on the controller and that should take over the parameter control. Not all VI plugins have this option, but I know DB-33 and MiniGrand have it. Once you get something programed as you like, save the track as a Track Preset so this midi learn stuff will be remembered:o

massivekerry 08-03-2021 01:14 PM

I use a Novation Launch Control XL. It's a little overboard with controls, but I use the faders for Mod/Expression, and a few orchestral-mapped things (like you'll see in Junkie XL's vids), but there are a ton of knobs, as well. I have a row mapped to the standard MIDI CCs for Filter & Cutoff, and another for the standard MIDI CCs for ADSR (or whichever of the ones are standard). I also have a template with softsynths in where I've used "MIDI Learn" (in the VIS that support it) to map a few of my regularly-used controls to some of the knobs, but I've only had success when i save them in the template, so the assignments are recalled each time.

musicman691 08-04-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2607400)
If you have a midi controller with some knobs and sliders, open your VI plugin and right-click on a parameter. If you see an option named "Midi Learn", move a knob or slider on the controller and that should take over the parameter control. Not all VI plugins have this option, but I know DB-33 and MiniGrand have it. Once you get something programed as you like, save the track as a Track Preset so this midi learn stuff will be remembered:o

To go further with this with Falcon unless you're trying to control it's built-in effects parameters nothing else is global. So you'd have to setup each synth/sampler separately. For example - you MIDI learn controls for something in the Avid Plugsound Edition expansion and you go to another expansion - you have to MIDI learn those controls. Master output volume IS global though.