Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack no System Exclusive response (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417469)

machambers 10-21-2021 07:48 AM

Eleven Rack no System Exclusive response

I have been trying to communicate with my Eleven Rack using MIDI System Exclusive messages. (I need to get rig data for a foot controller project.)

The unit responds to PC and CC messages from my Ground Control and my computer via MIDI-OX and a MIDISPORT 2x2 interface.
It will not however, respond to System Exclusive messages as documented in the Avid documentation. (I signed an NDA and got the documents directly from Avid.)
The Eleven Rack MIDI out works in Thru mode and when front panel CC messages are turned on, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. The unit has Firmware 2.0.1, Build 0.1.5.7.
The same computer/interface/software/cables work properly with my Line 6 PODs, so the problem is not at that end.
Any ideas? TIA

machambers 11-10-2021 03:12 AM

Re: Eleven Rack no System Exclusive response

The reason System Exclusive doesn't work over a MIDI connection is that digidesign/Avid never implemented it. This information came from an Avid hardware engineer. He also opined that the odds of fixing this issue are very small. So much for Avid product support. :(

Darryl Ramm 11-10-2021 10:44 AM

Think of the largest number you can and divide your very small odds by that.

The team that did the Eleven Rack long ago held hands with Elvis and left the building. The product has not been sold in a while and all support officially ends in 2024. Sometimes Avid treats us to present like a driver update... and we can dream about maybe getting a driver update for macOS on Apple silicon.... otherwise I would not expect any product enhancements.

machambers 11-11-2021 02:53 AM

More bothersome to me is the fact that I told the people at Avid what I wanted to do with the information and they either didn't care enough or know enough to tell me that it couldn't happen.

And it's too bad as the Eleven Rack seems to otherwise be a nice piece of work. Then again, I'm just getting into using it as an audio interface...

DonaldR 11-17-2021 04:30 AM

Why not build a small robot that sits on the top of your 11R with a motorized arm/finger pressing the front buttons in response to sysex midi messages?:D

Seriously, what you are asking for is limited to very few customers and even if the 11R was still an up-to-date product with regular firmware updates I bet that it still wouldn't be implemented, having Avid staff working on higher visibility features.

I now have an Atomic Ampli-Firebox paired with an HX Effects but my 11R controlled by an Midi Mongoose gets most of my play time.