Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2 consistant crashes with PT8 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=234970)

joelnewport 12-29-2008 11:05 AM

2 consistant crashes with PT8

Over all, I am pretty good, but I have a couple of things that I am concerned about.

Protools 8 crashes when I shut it down every time. Not when I close sessions, just when I quit the program. It doesn't really bother me much except I have to wait for the crash before I can move on.... Do I need to be concerned about this? Will it cause more problems with the system if it doesn't get fixed?

Also, the digi software updater crashes on launch. I can open it from the help menu and it will open and check for updates, but then it will crash on close.

Other than those 2 things I think I am in pretty good shape compared to others.

System is:
OS 10.5.6
Dual 2.5 GHz Power PC G5
2.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Have done the usual stuff but hope to avoid a new install.

Thanks!

Joel

Bart HLH 12-29-2008 11:29 AM

Re: 2 consistant crashes with PT8

My PT crashes when I quit without closing the session first. I close the session before quitting to avoid a crash.

Greetz,
Bart

joelnewport 12-29-2008 11:32 AM

Thanks Bart,

I tried that and I crash either way. It's amazing to me how one application can run so differently on different systems.

crizdee 12-29-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelnewport (Post 1325269)
Over all, I am pretty good, but I have a couple of things that I am concerned about.

Protools 8 crashes when I shut it down every time. Not when I close sessions, just when I quit the program. It doesn't really bother me much except I have to wait for the crash before I can move on.... Do I need to be concerned about this? Will it cause more problems with the system if it doesn't get fixed?

Also, the digi software updater crashes on launch. I can open it from the help menu and it will open and check for updates, but then it will crash on close.

Other than those 2 things I think I am in pretty good shape compared to others.

System is:
OS 10.5.6
Dual 2.5 GHz Power PC G5
2.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Have done the usual stuff but hope to avoid a new install.

Thanks!

Joel

Hi,

10.5.6 has not been qualified! why are you using it?

Most likely cause of your problem would be a plug! did you install third party plugins fresh or carry them over from 7.4? try removing all "non PT8-included" plugs from the plugins folder and see if it still crashes when closing down.

Have you tried trashing all the prefs?

Chris

joelnewport 12-29-2008 11:48 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm using 10.5.6 cause that is what downloaded from apple. It was automatic. I don't know how to dumb it down.

All my plugs work fine... I only have 2 that are not digi but I can try your suggestion as that might be it. I have also trashed prefs.

If it is an incompatibility with 10.5.6 then I will just wait for a patch as everything else works fine so far.

crizdee 12-29-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelnewport (Post 1325300)
Hi Chris,

I'm using 10.5.6 cause that is what downloaded from apple. It was automatic. I don't know how to dumb it down.

All my plugs work fine... I only have 2 that are not digi but I can try your suggestion as that might be it. I have also trashed prefs.

If it is an incompatibility with 10.5.6 then I will just wait for a patch as everything else works fine so far.

Hi,

Disable automatic updates from system prefs! also it is always recommended to use the combo updaters and not use the incremental updates that auto update enforces! You can't go back to 10.5.5 without a fresh install. but running the combo updater for 10.5.6 may help.

I guess your problem is not a show stopper! but i remember having a similar problem a while back and did effect the last saved version of the session i was running.

Has this problem been happening from the first installation or did it develop after a while?

Chris

joelnewport 12-29-2008 12:26 PM

Chris,

I will disable auto updates. Didn't cross my mind to do that earlier. This crash has been happening from day one. I save and shut out of my sessions before I quit protools and have not lost any data. (yet!)

Thanks for your input.

Joel

SessionKat 12-29-2008 01:33 PM

Joel,

Curious what happens if you try to launch Pro tools after the crash on quit ( w/o restarting the computer). By any chance, if you get a "-600 error" let me know. I may be able to decipher something.

-tv

joelnewport 12-29-2008 01:42 PM

Hi Tim,

No error. I can launch PT after a crash no problem. No need to restart the computer.

Joel

Nick Camaron 03-05-2009 01:51 AM

I know this issue too. Couldnīt even close a third party plugin without PT crashing. Donīt save a session with a problem causing plugin open.
I moved the bad plugin to the unused Folder and protools didnīt crash anymore.