Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What's stored with PT preferences? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=280679)

Stig Eliassen 08-24-2010 12:00 PM

What's stored with PT preferences?

Any docs on this subject?

Dism 08-24-2010 12:24 PM

Re: What's stored with PT preferences?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PT Lover (Post 1657756)
Any docs on this subject?

It's pretty much everything you expect. I don't know if there are any docs... but just about everything that gets saved for the next session. I/O, track colours, window arrangements, peripherals, setup preferences, etc...

Stig Eliassen 08-24-2010 12:41 PM

I was hoping that there could be a list somewhere. The reason being that I have to trash the prefs often to keep the D-Command working properly, and there's always something I've forgotten to set up the way I want before I make a backup of the prefs.

Hanswurstlsepp 08-24-2010 01:28 PM

Donno if that helps you, but in addition to the Prefs & Database helper.app I take screenshots from time to time.

I/O-Setup (Busses, Output, Input)
The 4 Peripheral-tabs
PT-Pref-tabs (7 pages/tabs)

What's definetely stored, too are the user buttons of D-command and the ConsolePrefs/Operations and some more stuff.
For those, I'm using my camera;)

GS-DK 08-24-2010 02:06 PM

Same here - a bit old-fashioned, but it gets the job done.....

Carl Kolchak 08-24-2010 02:12 PM

You could get your prefs set up as you like them to be, then copy the folder to a safe location.

Next time you have to trash the prefs, replace the new prefs folder with a copy of your back-up.

Oliver M 08-24-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak (Post 1657838)
You could get your prefs set up as you like them to be, then copy the folder to a safe location.

Next time you have to trash the prefs, replace the new prefs folder with a copy of your back-up.

Yep, this is what I do. Only difference is that I use a couple of AppleScripts to backup and restore the prefs to automate these procedures. Of course this is still no real answer to the OP's question.
I do not think that there is a list so you gotta find out yourself. Make changes of your settings and after each change check for modification dates of the following files:

Pro Tools v8.0 Preferences
DigiSetup.OSX
com.digidesign.ProToolsHD.plist

Oliver

Stig Eliassen 08-24-2010 02:56 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll ponder on this a bit. :-)

JC925602 08-24-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver M (Post 1657846)
...Make changes of your settings and after each change check for modification dates of the following files:

Pro Tools v8.0 Preferences
DigiSetup.OSX
com.digidesign.ProToolsHD.plist

Oliver

The ProTools Preferences file is only change when you quit ProTools. The process seems to be:
1- Delete the old file
2- create a brand new file

And some prefs are also saved with the session file and will overwrite your own pref when you open it.

JC

Stig Eliassen 08-25-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

And some prefs are also saved with the session file and will overwrite your own pref when you open it.
THANK YOU! I've had a feeling about this, but since I never tested this meticulously I didn't know.