Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MIDI controller pickup (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398168)

sjblack 03-24-2018 07:39 AM

MIDI controller pickup

Hey, everyone, I need help, please! Hopefully I explain this correctly. Unfortunately, right now I don't have motorized fader controls. I recently got the Korg nanoKontrol Studio to give me a few fader/slider knob controls. In Logic Pro there's a pickup mode setting specifically for this issue.
This forces the fader in the DAW to stay put until the fader on the control surface reaches the same level. This is to prevent jumps in levels when you just need to tweak them a bit. This is an issue when moving the controller to different tracks with different levels. I read somewhere that Pro Tools has built in pickup support however it doesn't seem to be working. Every time I move a fader on my nanoKontrol the faders jump in Pro Tools before I actually reach the level I have set in Pro Tools. Does the Korg nanoKontrol not support this feature or is there a setting that I have to enable in Pro Tools?

I appreciate all responses in advance.

albee1952 04-10-2018 08:31 AM

Re: MIDI controller pickup

Even if it does, its going to be a disappointing user experience. If budget doesn't allow for better, the Behringer BCF2000 might be worth a look. Otherwise, I would be looking at The Presonus Faderport8, a used Avid Artist Mix(maybe combined with an original Faderport). The original Faderport is a dandy little box and has a motorized fader, transport buttons, and automation select and gets plenty of use here(for the last 9 years:eek:). I bought a package of Artist Mix and Transport, and ended up selling the Transport(too many unlabeled buttons:o). There are some other options, depending on your budget($400-$5K)

Kerochan 12-13-2020 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjblack (Post 2481767)
Hey, everyone, I need help, please! Hopefully I explain this correctly. Unfortunately, right now I don't have motorized fader controls. I recently got the Korg nanoKontrol Studio to give me a few fader/slider knob controls. In Logic Pro there's a pickup mode setting specifically for this issue.
This forces the fader in the DAW to stay put until the fader on the control surface reaches the same level. This is to prevent jumps in levels when you just need to tweak them a bit. This is an issue when moving the controller to different tracks with different levels. I read somewhere that Pro Tools has built in pickup support however it doesn't seem to be working. Every time I move a fader on my nanoKontrol the faders jump in Pro Tools before I actually reach the level I have set in Pro Tools. Does the Korg nanoKontrol not support this feature or is there a setting that I have to enable in Pro Tools?

I appreciate all responses in advance.

Did you ever get this sorted? I have a Novation Keyboard and I have the same problem, where is the pickup choice in Pro Tools?

albee1952 01-04-2021 02:00 PM

Opinions vary, but I think you are trying to use the wrong tool for the job(and Novation products can be a crapshoot with Pro Tools).