Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   3rd Party SFP for MTRX (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418287)

AINSLIE 12-20-2021 10:37 AM

3rd Party SFP for MTRX

Does anyone know if the SFP's used in the DUAL MADI option cards for MTRX are proprietary? i.e. would a 3rd party SFP work? Or are the AVID supplied ones modified an anyway from standard form factor or functionality? Resorting to this in the absence of any being available before new year. TIA!

creativecontrol 12-20-2021 11:22 AM

Re: 3rd Party SFP for MTRX

I would highly recommend not using arbitrary SFP modules with MTRX.
From the MTRX Kbase:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...s-MTRX-Support

Qualified SFP Modules:
SFP's that are distributed by NTP and/or Avid are supported (contact your reseller)
SFP's from other third parties may not work with Pro Tools | MTRX and are not recommended
MADI SFP Compatibility:
What is the difference between 850nm and 1300nm SFP's?

850nm, which uses 100BASE-SX cable, is a lower cost alternative. This is due to the use of short wavelength optics, which are significantly less expense than the long wavelength options used in 100BASE-FX. Maximum 850nm cable runs are approximately 1,000 ft., while 1300nm can travel as far as 6,600 feet.

Products that use the 1300nm wavelength include the Pro Tools | HD MADI, as well as most digital live sound consoles, such as those by Soundcraft, Studer, and Yamaha. Consult your owner's manual or the manufacturer for your system’s optical wavelength.

Jeff

BScout 12-20-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AINSLIE (Post 2623211)
Does anyone know if the SFP's used in the DUAL MADI option cards for MTRX are proprietary? i.e. would a 3rd party SFP work? Or are the AVID supplied ones modified an anyway from standard form factor or functionality? Resorting to this in the absence of any being available before new year. TIA!

They are standard SFP transceivers. Just have to meet all the specs of the originals.

Avid's "support" is up to them but I had this discussion with DAD/NTP a long time ago when we needed transceivers in a rush.

AINSLIE 12-20-2021 07:59 PM

Thanks - we actually found AVID ones, but before that we found some 3rd party with the exact same model / part numbers / stickers on them. We will try them to see if they work as an experiment when its not critical and report back for anyone else who finds this thread in a pinch.

AINSLIE 12-23-2021 09:19 AM

Jeff - I sourced the AVID SFP's so we are set somewhat. Question - can I feed MADI optical from that multimode 1300nm SFP in a dual Madi card in a MTRX to an AVID HD MADI interface fiber input on a separate machine? I can't see in the manual if they are compatible / same frequency. If not is the only way to connect via 850nm or COAX? Any help appreciated!

Ainslie

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecontrol (Post 2623215)
I would highly recommend not using arbitrary SFP modules with MTRX.
From the MTRX Kbase:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...s-MTRX-Support

Qualified SFP Modules:
SFP's that are distributed by NTP and/or Avid are supported (contact your reseller)
SFP's from other third parties may not work with Pro Tools | MTRX and are not recommended
MADI SFP Compatibility:
What is the difference between 850nm and 1300nm SFP's?

850nm, which uses 100BASE-SX cable, is a lower cost alternative. This is due to the use of short wavelength optics, which are significantly less expense than the long wavelength options used in 100BASE-FX. Maximum 850nm cable runs are approximately 1,000 ft., while 1300nm can travel as far as 6,600 feet.

Products that use the 1300nm wavelength include the Pro Tools | HD MADI, as well as most digital live sound consoles, such as those by Soundcraft, Studer, and Yamaha. Consult your owner's manual or the manufacturer for your system’s optical wavelength.

Jeff

creativecontrol 12-23-2021 09:28 AM

Yes, the Optical MADI Module - Multi-Mode SFP 1300nm is the one you want if you are interconnecting with an HD MADI interface.

best,

Jeff

AINSLIE 12-23-2021 09:44 AM

You help is exceptional thankyou Jeff!

We will be taking in 368 channels of MADI into the MTRX. Then patching and recording up to 192 tracks at a time in PT. Being able to label and pre save the DadMan and Protools configurations is pretty amazing - allowing us to do it all in one machine with no physical repatching required (at our end) over the 3 days we will be recording. Again many thanks fo your answers.

creativecontrol 12-23-2021 09:46 AM

Happy to help. Good luck with the recording!

best,

Jeff