Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Digidesign Hardware & Software (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quicksilver G4 has become self aware.... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384562)

John_Toolbox 09-28-2016 06:00 AM

Quicksilver G4 has become self aware....

I believe my quicksilver G4 has evolved into intelligent life. It now starts itself up randomly. I don't use it very often, but this morning I came into the studio and noticed it was on, so I shut it down. 30 minutes later, I just heard the startup chime again.

It's running OS 9.2.2... Does anyone remember a problem like this? It is not connected to a network, so I don't know what would trigger it to start up on it's own like this. Zapping the PRAM hasn't helped.

Southsidemusic 09-28-2016 06:02 AM

Re: Quicksilver G4 has become self aware....

Maybe all the neglected pokémon have moved in and set themselves up in your ol' Quicksilver Mac :D:D:D

If you feed them after midnight I heard they turn into a Kardashian sister :D

Ben Jenssen 09-28-2016 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't really help you with the G4, John, but I can understand your worries.
My Mac Pro has always struggled its self image. It thinks it's a Macbook Pro:
Attachment 7232
I try not to hurt its feelings by making a big deal out of it, after all it's not hurting anyone.
:D

Darryl Ramm 09-28-2016 07:47 AM

Make sure wake for LAN is turned off (in energy preferences). Try disconnecting all peripherals and seeing if it still happens. Try swapping the keyboard and mouse (specially to non-Bluetooth ones).

mrhappy1997 10-06-2016 07:22 AM

Hey John... did you get this sorted? If not, try OS9Lives.com... a growing contingent of OS 9/ DAW users who could help. Most people around here probably don't even REMEMBER OS 9!!:-):-)

John_Toolbox 10-06-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm
(specially to non-Bluetooth ones).

This computer is so old, I don't think it knows what bluetooth is! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhappy1997
Hey John... did you get this sorted? If not, try OS9Lives.com... a growing contingent of OS 9/ DAW users who could help. Most people around here probably don't even REMEMBER OS 9!!

I solved it for now by unplugging the power cord. :D I haven't had time to mess with it but I did try everything Darryl mentioned and all of the other OS9 tricks I remember with no success, which leads me to believe this might be a hardware problem... back around 2003-2004, I had a PCI chassis from the same era that refused to turn off. The issue was solved by replacing the power supply.

mrhappy1997 10-06-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Toolbox (Post 2387091)

I solved it for now by unplugging the power cord.

Now THAT is my kind of solution!!:-):-)

mrhappy1997 10-07-2016 04:33 AM

Asked a 'OS9Lives' friend about it...

There's an autostart setting in the Energy saver / Schedule prefs / control panel.

Check it.

John_Toolbox 10-07-2016 12:06 PM

Triple checked all of the energy saver and wake for network access stuff. All software settings that could make it start up are definitely disabled.

After having it unplugged for a few days, and plugging back in it seems to staying "off".... knock on wood. Possible the NVRAM was the problem, I believe it is reset on this model by disconnecting power for 10-15 minutes. We'll see if it stays off now.

mrhappy1997 10-08-2016 12:01 AM

Another friend had the same problem and it was the motherboard so Hopefully yours will be ok now!