Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HD Native randomly disappears from Output Device list. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390098)

Focuret 03-30-2017 07:11 PM

HD Native randomly disappears from Output Device list.

Hey guys,

For some reason I haven't been having much luck with the HD Native and Omni. When I have the HD Native selected as the output device things can be working fine (Pro Tools not open). Playing youtube videos or something in iTunes. But if I stop videos or tracks sometimes the Omni will just stop working and no videos or tracks will even play. When this happens I can switch output device to internal output or whatever and all of the audio will seemingly catch up and play.

After this happens HD Native disappears from the Output devices list. Restarting the Omni. Unplugging and replugging in the HD Native. Nothing works besides restarting the MacBook Pro.

Please tell me there's a way to fix this because it happens more than a few times a day. It's like it either goes to sleep and never wakes up or gets knocked out and never wakes up. Or if there's no way to fix it, is there a way to make MacOS rescan devices in some way without restarting, perhaps? Thank you in advance!

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.12.3

Stig Eliassen 03-30-2017 10:11 PM

Re: HD Native randomly disappears from Output Device list.

Which version of the HD Driver and PT are you on? There have been issues.

TFH 03-31-2017 01:57 AM

Indeed check if you have the latest driver and you could also try to factory reset the omni.

Focuret 03-31-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen (Post 2422183)
Which version of the HD Driver and PT are you on? There have been issues.

HD Driver v12.7.1.733

The issue is when I'm not running Pro Tools but rather using the HD Native Thunderbolt as a system sound output device. In any event I have:

Pro Tools v12.7.0.676

Any ideas?

albee1952 03-31-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focuret (Post 2422243)
HD Driver v12.7.1.733

The issue is when I'm not running Pro Tools but rather using the HD Native Thunderbolt as a system sound output device. In any event I have:

Pro Tools v12.7.0.676

Any ideas?

Don't use HDN for non-Pro Tools audio:o There are a few ways to hear non-PT sound and one would be to feed the headphone out to a pair of analog inputs of the OMNI. If the MBP can feed SPDIF, that would be a better option(go digital into the OMNI). For years now, I have fed optical SPDIF from my computer into a Presonus Central Station for all non-PT sound(but if you are trying to stay portable, then this is probably not a good option:o)