Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   What digilink adaptor(s) will I need? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=330824)

MixerGuy 11-14-2012 10:15 PM

What digilink adaptor(s) will I need?

Hi all

I have a TDM rig with various interfaces. Mac Pro.

I will soon have 2 HDX cards to replace my 3 TDM cards....
And i am also getting a new pair of HD IO 8x8x8 as well.

I suspect that my symphony IO interface (emulating an avid interface) will want to go first, and be clock master.

I would then run word clock to all the interfaces.

I seem to recall that the new HD IO interfaces (and HDX cards) use a new, smaller connector (and port) for Digilink.

My questions are

- what adaptor(s) will I need to go HDX -> symphony io -> 16x -> 16x -> HD IO 8x8x8

- what adaptor(s) will I need to go HDX (the second card) -> Lynx 16 aurora -> HD IO 8x8x8

Thanks much for any tips and tricks. :-)

MixerGuy 11-14-2012 10:27 PM

Re: What digilink adaptor(s) will I need?

from the HD IO manual -

Included with HD IO 8x8x8

• DigiLink Mini cable (18 inches [0.46m]) •

• 12” DigiLink female to DigiLink Mini male, included with each interface

(to connect older digilink cable to HDX card)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from the HD IO manual

The DigiLink to DigiLink Mini adapter cables let you connect your HD I/O to Pro Tools|HD cards in your computer (Pro Tools|HD cards include a 12’ DigiLink cable for connecting Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces). They also let you connect legacy Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces (such as the 192 I/O or the 96 I/O) to the expansion port of HD I/O (legacy Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces include an 18” DigiLink cable).

but I'm still a little confused..... :confused: can i setup my interfaces the way I think I can?

Weird Audio 11-15-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 1980978)

but I'm still a little confused..... :confused: can i setup my interfaces the way I think I can?

Yes and no.
Each HDX card allows a max of 64i/o in any analog or digital available.
BUT
There are two digilink ports on the HDX card
EACH port only allows for 32i/o per port.
For the maximum total of 64i/o per card you need to utilize both digilink ports.
32i/o per port , 64i/o per card

What are the exact interfaces you will have
Are those 16x,s the Apogee 16 ad/da,s or is it the AVID 16X16
How may i/o does your Symphony have

I have zero experience with a system with that much conversion but if it were me I would use the AVID as the clock and all AVID products first in the chain, This way if there is some type of issue hopefully you will at least get complete stability from the AVID converters

With that many converters and clocks I would seriously consider a master clock.
ANTELOPE , BIG BEN , AVID SYNC .

I know Avid says every time the clock goes out its output is consistent as it first was but I would seriously doubt the clock accuracy looping that may interfaces .

With a clock send them individual feeds so they all get there at the same time .
Again my understanding of clocking is almost nothing but thats alot to sync at once .

Weird Audio 11-15-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 1980978)

Yes and no.

Each HDX card allows a max of 64i/o in any analog or digital available.
BUT
There are two digilink ports on the HDX card
EACH port only allows for 32i/o per port.
For the maximum total of 64i/o per card you need to utilize both digilink ports.
32i/o per port , 64i/o per card

What are the exact interfaces you will have
Are those 16x,s the Apogee 16 ad/da,s or is it the AVID 16X16
How may i/o does your Symphony have

I have zero experience with a system with that much conversion but if it were me I would use the AVID as the clock and all AVID products first in the chain, This way if there is some type of issue hopefully you will at least get complete stability from the AVID converters

With that many converters and clocks I would seriously consider a master clock.
ANTELOPE , BIG BEN , AVID SYNC .

I know Avid says every time the clock goes out its output is consistent as it first was but I would seriously doubt the clock accuracy looping that may interfaces .

With a clock send them individual feeds so they all get there at the same time .
Again my understanding of clocking is almost nothing but thats alot to sync at once .

Weird Audio 11-15-2012 06:59 AM

You will need two long mini to mini digilink cables. At least one should be included. Every AVID HD interface should come with a new mini to mini and a mini to large digilink cable.

You will need the mini to large for anything not avid. unless you have a very new symphony with the mini connect built in .

Most likely you will need to buy a long digilink cable . The old ones will work with adaptors but do you really want adaptors on your conversion

MixerGuy 11-15-2012 08:50 AM

OK I'm a bit more awake now :eek: and I think I figured this out.
Don't worry about clocking - I'm all over that. :D

so... i *think* this should work fine - any thoughts from anyone?
I am routing stuff this way to account for where outboard is located. This is a MIX room - not a tracking room. ;)

HDX-1 mini-digilink port 1 -> Avid Mini-DigiLink Cable (25') -> Avid HD IO 8x8x8 -> DigiLink Mini male to DigiLink female adaptor, included with each interface -> short Digilink cable -> Symphony IO (with 16 x 16 analog card in it. I wont put any more cards in it)
(total IO on this port = 32)

HDX-1 mini-digilink port 2 -> DigiLink Mini male to DigiLink female adaptor, included with each interface -> Digilink cable -> Apogee AD 16x -> Digilink cable to Apogee DA16x (both with X-HD cards, with beta firmware update to appear as HD IOs, in advanced routing so 32 channels total)

HDX-2 mini-digilink port 1 -> DigiLink Mini male to DigiLink female adaptor (I have to buy) -> 25’ Digilink cable -> Lynx Aurora 16 (in advanced mode so 32 channels total)

HDX-2 mini-digilink port 2-> Avid Mini-DigiLink Cable (25') -> Avid HD IO 8x8x8
(total IO on this port = 16)

Cool? :-)

Weird Audio 11-15-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 1981102)
OK I'm a bit more awake now :eek: and I think I figured this out.
Don't worry about clocking - I'm all over that. :D
so... i *think* this should work fine - any thoughts from anyone?
I am routing stuff this way to account for where outboard is located. This is a MIX room - not a tracking room. ;)

Quote:

B]HDX-1 mini-digilink port 1[/B] -> Avid Mini-DigiLink Cable (25') -> Avid HD IO 8x8x8 -> DigiLink Mini male to DigiLink female adaptor, included with each interface -> short Digilink cable -> Symphony IO (with 16 x 16 analog card in it. I wont put any more cards in it) (total IO on this port = 32)

YES .
If your not using the digital i/o you still have 8 i/o left over

Quote:

B]HDX-1 mini-digilink port 2[/B] -> DigiLink Mini male to DigiLink female adaptor, included with each interface -> Digilink cable -> Apogee AD 16x -> Digilink cable to Apogee DA16x (both with X-HD cards, with beta firmware update to appear as HD IOs, in advanced routing so 32 channels total)

NO!!!!
If your only using 1 16xAD and 1 16xDA thats only 16i/o
You still have 16i/o remaining
I would but these with the symphony and move the list below to here
and put the avid

Quote:

B]HDX-2 mini-digilink port 1[/B] -> DigiLink Mini male to DigiLink female adaptor (I have to buy) -> 25’ Digilink cable -> Lynx Aurora 16 (in advanced mode so 32 channels total)

YES
if you plan to use all the i/o analog and AES for the max 32i/o
but if your only using the analog or digital you still have 16i/o left

Quote:

B]HDX-2 mini-digilink port 2[/B]-> Avid Mini-DigiLink Cable (25') -> Avid HD IO 8x8x8
(total IO on this port = 16)
Cool? :-)

Yes if you use the digital and analog
Put both the AVID 8x8x8s together
this would be 32i/o with both using all i/o

If you re arrange the i/o you will save on buying a long digilink cable

My suggestion
Put all Apogee together for 32i/o
Put all Avid together for 32i/o
And the LYNX on the first port on card 2 for 32i/o

If you are only using analog i/o this can all go on the same HDX1 card.

Are you a intern or something.
You have to know this what gives
with all that i/o conversion you must have a wall of rack or SSL or something
You really need a 128 i/o of conversion

This feels like a pop quiz

MixerGuy 11-15-2012 04:47 PM

Hi Weird Audio

As I said - "Apogee DA16x (both with X-HD cards, with beta firmware update to appear as HD IOs, in advanced routing so 32 channels total)"

YES that is 32 channels of IO there - 16 analog, and 16 digital. Apogee 16x do this in "advanced routing"

so my math is correct.

and no, i'm not an intern. ;)

and yes - I need all the digital IO as well as all the analog IO. :cool:

Weird Audio 11-18-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 1981202)
Hi Weird Audio

YES that is 32 channels of IO there - 16 analog, and 16 digital. Apogee 16x do this in "advanced routing"

You are correct . I made a error . I assumed the 16X only did either in or out . I wasn't aware they offered analog and digital i and o on the same interface since they are known as 16XAD or 16XDA .

My bad Im brand loyal . I would not buy and mix in that fashion it is not my style . Not that AVID has the new HD stuff there isn't a need for it but it was a tempting thought with the 192i/o .

Just a thought , Even though all those interfaces will work together but seeing as you have 3 BRANDS and 4 MAKES . LYNX AVID SYMPHONY and 16X .
Is there a possibly loss of quality in any aspect clocking jitter conversion when asking so many different converters to perform there best in unison with that many other different models.
I expect you to say no to this but it does seem probable to me.

MixerGuy 11-18-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weird Audio (Post 1981939)
......s you have 3 BRANDS and 4 MAKES . LYNX AVID SYMPHONY and 16X .
Is there a possibly loss of quality in any aspect clocking jitter conversion when asking so many different converters to perform there best in unison with that many other different models.
I expect you to say no to this but it does seem probable to me.

I know what I am doing with word clock. No need for concern. :cool:

all units except the symphony IO will slave to external word clock from the Symphony IO.

It will all be wired properly.

No, this setup will not lead to any sonic problems.

I have this on good authority from top experts in this field.

:-)