Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Separating Vocals from instrumentals (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=247265)

erocker 06-01-2009 04:53 PM

Separating Vocals from instrumentals

Hello,

I would like to create a remix. The song I would like to work on includes vocals and an acoustic guitar. However, I would only like to use the vocals. Is there a way to take the vocals out from this song and use them in my own remix??

Thanks.

Ryan Young 06-01-2009 05:22 PM

Re: Separating Vocals from instrumentals

Kind of. Make both panpots centered to mono. Then, put a multi-mono trim plugin up top. Un-link the channels and flip the phase on one side (ø). This will phase out any information that is panned center (identical on the left and right sides). If you using an mp3, you may get artifacting. Best to rip straight from the cd at full quality.

or

Download bx_solo. It's free and works great. Click HERE Click the S button as shown here and it should work well.

DanielPinho 06-01-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 1405927)
Kind of. Make both panpots centered to mono. Then, put a multi-mono trim plugin up top. Un-link the channels and flip the phase on one side (ø). This will phase out any information that is panned center (identical on the left and right sides). If you using an mp3, you may get artifacting. Best to rip straight from the cd at full quality.

or

Download bx_solo. It's free and works great. Click HERE Click the S button as shown here and it should work well.

Nice information, but how can I do the opposite - isolate only what's panned center?

flommer 06-01-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 1405927)

or

Chances are that the vox are up the middle though... That's what the OP wants to keep..

Ryan Young 06-01-2009 06:29 PM

Whoops, that was next on my list but didn't put it down...

With the bx_solo plugin, click the M button instead of the S button. That will isolate what's in the mid, not sides.

The BEST thing, if possible, is this... If the instrumental is available, pop it in your session and align the waveforms of the instrumental and the regular mix. Put a trim plugin on either track and (while linked) flip the phase. This will phase out the music from the full mix and (hopefully) leave you with an acapella! Again, if you can rip it at full quality, this would be best. MP3s will be compressed differently and will give you some music "bleed" and artifacting.

flommer 06-01-2009 06:58 PM

It's funny.. I must have downloaded bx-solo a long time ago and never tried it... It's already in my plug-ins folder. Have to give it a try

haha:o

erocker 06-02-2009 11:34 AM

Un-link the channels and flip the phase on one side. This will phase out any information that is panned center

How do you do this? and what is meant by phasing?

erocker 06-02-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Un-link the channels and flip the phase on one side (ø). This will phase out any information that is panned center
Oh ok... I think I got it. On the Trim plug-in, I pressed that that circle button with the line through it. I guess that's the phase shift button. I noticed the difference for sure. However, the phased out info can still be slightly heard. Is there any way to completely get rid of this sound?