Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Pro tools iLok cloud (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396613)

uptheoctave 01-28-2018 01:57 AM

Re: Pro tools ilok cloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseboyuk (Post 2471715)
I’ve re-read this post several times but I don’t quite get it. I think this is the sentence I trip up on. How can you have iLok cloud connected before you launch PT? I realise you’re saying it isn’t connected, but I don’t understand how it can be any other way.

Just start Pro Tools, then authorise with iLok Cloud when prompted to put your iLok account details in.

This will authorise the license to the cloud and you can set this as the default action as well.

noiseboyuk 01-28-2018 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octatonic (Post 2471727)
Just start Pro Tools, then authorise with iLok Cloud when prompted to put your iLok account details in.

This will authorise the license to the cloud and you can set this as the default action as well.

Yes, I get that's how it works, but I still don't understand Eric's post as it suggests there's some other way to do it.

guitardom 01-28-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noiseboyuk (Post 2471729)
Yes, I get that's how it works, but I still don't understand Eric's post as it suggests there's some other way to do it.

Launch your ILM, sign in, create a cloud session, launch PT. I go over it on the video on the first page of this thread.

noiseboyuk 01-28-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 2471800)
Launch your ILM, sign in, create a cloud session, launch PT. I go over it on the video on the first page of this thread.

Got it now - thanks v much.

noiseboyuk 01-28-2018 12:13 PM

Well that was an interesting experiment. I have a second non-HD license, and I thought I'd try it in the Cloud to see what happens when the internet is lost. Deactiviated it from the iLok, then started a Cloud session in iLok Manager, and then launched PT. All went very smoothly.

Then I switched off the wifi. For the first few minutes, all carried on perfectly well, then iLok manager flashed up a warning that there was a problem with the iCloud session. PT however carried on ok for a few more minutes, and then said I needed to plug in an iLok with a license in the next 5 minutes or PT would quit. It offered me the option to save where I was which I tried to do, but then PT crashed.

So what I'm taking from this so far is that I absolutely don't want to rely on it for my main rig. If and when the internet goes, the session ultimately goes, and it may well not be graceful. Likewise I wouldn't trust it on the road. However, it might be quite handy for secondary non-critical machine chores in a stable environment.

moshuajusic 01-28-2018 01:39 PM

They need to allow you to keep the license on both the physical iLok and cloud. I understand why they wouldn't, but I'm sure they're smart enough to figure out a way to do it while preventing people from using 1 license on 2 machines simultaneously.

Cliffy_Boy 01-28-2018 02:51 PM

Not working here. Maybe they didn’t roll it out to Canada yet.

When I deactivate the licenses, the only location I can réactivâtes them is my ilok. The ilok Cloud option doesn’t appear. Just my ilok.

Both from ILM or directly from protools.

zoff 01-28-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy (Post 2471855)
Not working here. Maybe they didn’t roll it out to Canada yet.

When I deactivate the licenses, the only location I can réactivâtes them is my ilok. The ilok Cloud option doesn’t appear. Just my ilok.

Both from ILM or directly from protools.

Same here and I'm in the US.

Eric Seaberg 01-28-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 2471800)

Right!! If you DON'T launch ILM before hand, ProTools will launch it and the license required for your installed version (non-HD in my case) will authorize.

If I launch ILM first, HD will load on my non-HD install as it seems to take priority over non-HD in the cloud.

Does that help?!

Cliffy_Boy 01-28-2018 08:34 PM

I got it to work.

I had to close the cloud session and then reopen it in ILM and then my Avid licenses magically ended up on the ilok cloud.