Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Universal audio will NOT do AAX dsp! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=333879)

Brock Mixwell 01-29-2013 03:49 AM

Universal audio will NOT do AAX dsp!

I was just speaking to one of the UA reps at NAMM about AAX dsp and he said they have absolutely NO plans to offer AAX dsp versions of their plugins.

I'm glad I have not wasted my cash on this dying platform.

TOM@METRO 01-29-2013 04:03 AM

Re: Universal audio will NOT do AAX dsp!

Most of us never expected them to come over to HDX/DSP, they have their own DSP cards.

Stig Eliassen 01-29-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell (Post 2002084)
I was just speaking to one of the UA reps at NAMM about AAX dsp and he said they have absolutely NO plans to offer AAX dsp versions of their plugins.

I'm glad I have not wasted my cash on this dying platform.

They have a whole line of hardware with onboard DSP. I would be very surprised if they did AAX-DSP.

Brock Mixwell 01-29-2013 04:08 AM

They have NO as in ZERO plans to offer AAX DSP

What difference does it make that they have their own dsp card?

A uad card is even worse for HDX users than an AAX native plugin I.e. it adds significantly more latency

This is absolutely unacceptable to me

TOM@METRO 01-29-2013 04:17 AM

The simple solution to your dilemma is... Replace plug-ins with witch you are uncomfortable, with something else that offers AAX/DSP. That's what I did. It all worked out fine.

crizdee 01-29-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell (Post 2002089)
They have NO as in ZERO plans to offer AAX DSP

What difference does it make that they have their own dsp card?

A uad card is even worse for HDX users than an AAX native plugin I.e. it adds significantly more latency

This is absolutely unacceptable to me

Hi,

Don't know what you mean? Delay comp takes care of it easily:-)

Loads of us have been using them for years with no issues.

Chris

Brock Mixwell 01-29-2013 04:29 AM

Thanks but this does not help in a tracking scenario.. I must be able to monitor through plugins during tracking with zero latency.. Otherwise what is the point of spending coin on HDX?

TOM@METRO 01-29-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell (Post 2002100)
Thanks but this does not help in a tracking scenario.. I must be able to monitor through plugins during tracking with zero latency.. Otherwise what is the point of spending coin on HDX?

How are you currently doing this?

The largest facilities here in Los Angeles are doing just fine with HDX. What am I missing here?

Brock Mixwell 01-29-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2002104)
How are you currently doing this?

I am not

Iam currently running hd native and uad quad, but cannot monitor though the plugins without massive latency..

Hence wanting to upgrade to HDX... But seems the problem will be the same if not worse with HDX

This is unacceptable

crizdee 01-29-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell (Post 2002100)

Well if you must track through every plugin you'll have a problem with lots of them!

UAD plugs have live monitor mode for doing this? Not ideal but UAD are best for post recording.

Nothing's changed, they are external DSP now and have been for quite some time and will remain so as well.

Lots of plugs out there for tracking! But when focusing in mixing the UAD plugs are top league.

Chris